Premed 101 Forums

Line Of Credit - Mcmaster/hamilton Advisors

Hey guys,

I was wondering if Mac Med students who dealt with med line of credit advisors in Hamilton would mind sharing their opinions? Especially if you've had a particularly good or bad experiences with any banks/advisors in the area.

Thanks.

I called RBC and did not have a good experience with the Hamilton rep.  He seemed rather inexperienced dealing with mature students with other commitments (such as a mortgage) and wasn't sure what he would be able to do for me.  I did not leave our conversation feeling confident.  He actually said he would "get back to me" once he explored some options, and that never happened (over 3 weeks ago).  I have since connected with a Toronto RBC rep I'm feeling a lot better about.

I definitely agree with medorbust99. The Toronto reps at the University/Dundas location (where a lot of the major hospitals are) are fantastic. I specifically dealt with Viktoriya Maslova. Very patient, did a great job fielding my questions, and not pushy at all. 

Had a sub-par experience with RBC as well, and ended up switching to Scotia. The rep was fantastic, knowledgeable, and was definitely willing to go the extra mile for med students; however (probably because of that) he recently got promoted and is no longer at the branch. Don't know much about his successor yet but could be worth looking in to.

• 4 weeks later...

I definitely agree with medorbust99. The Toronto reps at the University/Dundas location (where a lot of the major hospitals are) are fantastic. I specifically dealt with Viktoriya Maslova. Very patient, did a great job fielding my questions, and not pushy at all. 

I agree, the RBC reps at the University/Dundas are excellent.  If you have a chance, ask for Veena.  Lots of experience dealing with LOCs for med students.

Everyone in my year that I know of used Adam Bonnell at Scotia, but I've heard a rumour recently that he was promoted and is no longer at the branch. If you post in the C2019 FB group an upper year student should be able to tell you who is taking over. :)

This is true! But there's good news. I checked out his replacement and found he was just as good as people said Adam was. He knew exactly what he was doing, made it super smooth, and gave me all the perks up front before I even asked. His name is Josh, and I could recommend him more if you're in the hamilton area and want to deal with someone local. He's also got a decent referral program.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys, I actually work alongside Adam Bonnell at Scotiabank in downtown Hamilton. Adam has taken on a new role as a Small Business Development Manager and I work directly with him in the Hamilton Marketplace. I specialize in Professional Student banking and I would be more than happy to answer any questions any of you may have regarding our program. My contact information is listed below so feel free to reach out to me however you like.

Kyle Mertens

Manager Professional Banking

Scotiabank

Office:905-577-8525 x3000

Cell: 905-902-4109

Email: kyle.mertens@scotiabank.com

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone! In case any 2019s are still looking for an advisor (or upper years looking for someone new now that Adam has moved on), I can personally vouch for Kyle (his contact info is above). I contacted him to increase my LOC limit for residency, and he's been really great renegotiating my loan and getting me stuff I hadn't even asked for (extra CC perks, a higher LOC limit than I'd asked for, etc). He's downtown Hamilton but is willing to meet somewhere convenient for you if you prefer. 

I promise he's not paying me to say this, haha, I'm just really happy with the service and thought I'd share. :)

• 1 month later...

Archived