Premed 101 Forums

Friday Afternoon Thoughts

johnmccrae

Random thoughts as I stare into my computer on a Friday afternoon waiting for work to end...

This whole medicine thing still feels kinda surreal. It's been almost 8 years since I was last in school. I really don't think it'll settle in until I'm actually in Hamilton at the end of August. . Right now I'm still focused on my day-to-day grind: wake-up, morning work-out, get the kids ready, drive them to daycare (separate locations), drive to work, solve the crisis of the day, work-out at lunch, afternoon meetings, pick-up the kids, drive home, get dinner ready, play with the kids a bit, go through the bed-time routine, and then by that point I usually fall asleep on the couch.

Crazy to think this is all going to change in a few short months! I'm pretty excited. I put my official notice in - officially done August 1st, but with my two weeks of vacay left, I'm actually done on 15 July! Now I just need to get my house sold...

Anyone else that's been out of school for a bit feeling a little weird?

Yes. I haven't been out of school for too long (8 out of undergrad, 2 out of grad) but I had gotten into a routine once I started working that'll be hard to kick. The fact that my bank account will keep decreasing will be something to adjust to as well! I hope I remember how to study!

Random thoughts as I stare into my computer on a Friday afternoon waiting for work to end...

This whole medicine thing still feels kinda surreal. It's been almost 8 years since I was last in school. I really don't think it'll settle in until I'm actually in Hamilton at the end of August. . Right now I'm still focused on my day-to-day grind: wake-up, morning work-out, get the kids ready, drive them to daycare (separate locations), drive to work, solve the crisis of the day, work-out at lunch, afternoon meetings, pick-up the kids, drive home, get dinner ready, play with the kids a bit, go through the bed-time routine, and then by that point I usually fall asleep on the couch.

Crazy to think this is all going to change in a few short months! I'm pretty excited. I put my official notice in - officially done August 1st, but with my two weeks of vacay left, I'm actually done on 15 July! Now I just need to get my house sold...

Anyone else that's been out of school for a bit feeling a little weird?

I've been in school and still feel weird lol

My delay was getting back to school at all, so I started med right after undergrad, but I can say that Mac will work very well for you. I think it's very common for people to need to figure out a whole new way of studying with the PBL system. Mac's curriculum just isn't the same as undergrad and so I think most of the class ends up needing to spend some time figuring out how things go. Those first few weeks of MF1, everyone's pretty much on unsteady footing as they figure things out, people coming straight from undergrad and people who've been out of school a long time alike. 

While your schedule will be slightly more variable, the general rhythm won't really change during preclerkship, at least that was the case for me. I'm more likely to have to do things in the evening, but I've got a lot more free time during the day and I expect you will find your schedule quite a bit more relaxed as well, compared to a full time job plus family life. It's made it easier to enjoy my family time even more, because I'm not typically exhausted (I am now, but that's because I'm pregnant, not because of school.) 

It's going to be a hell of a shift, but I expect you may be surprised by how fun this part of it is. :)

• 4 weeks later...

This whole medicine thing still feels kinda surreal. 

You can say that again.

I'm still reeling from what's been a pretty surreal last couple of years for me, and I'm definitely feeling some impostor syndrome as we get closer and closer to school... 

We're about to start -- what??? Glad we'll be in it together :)

Archived