Premed 101 Forums

Health Insurance For American Schools

Can anyone comment on how health insurance would work if someone were to go study in USA?

Would the school consider waiving you from their health insurance if you have OHIP (or other provincial plans)?

I'll be attending a US school to start my SMP this fall. And the school has a mandatory $5k/year health insurance plan that i'm supposed to enroll in if i can't provide them with a comparable insurance plan. According to the school, most Canadian health plans apparently aren't "comparable". I'm trying to figure out what the others studying in USA did to avoid being dinged by this.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Can anyone comment on how health insurance would work if someone were to go study in USA?

Would the school consider waiving you from their health insurance if you have OHIP (or other provincial plans)?

I'll be attending a US school to start my SMP this fall. And the school has a mandatory $5k/year health insurance plan that i'm supposed to enroll in if i can't provide them with a comparable insurance plan. According to the school, most Canadian health plans apparently aren't "comparable". I'm trying to figure out what the others studying in USA did to avoid being dinged by this.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Look up Tugo or manuflife etc.  Thats what most Canadians studying medicine in the US use. I imagine it would be the same difference for an SMP.

OHIP will not be sufficient.

http://www.internationalstudentinsurance.com/student-health-insurance/benefits.php?gclid=Cj0KEQjwnIm7BRDSs42KxLS8-6YBEiQAfDWP6M3c8mVOzk3w_AZPHABls_dGCgiOVaqKucRgyTMVi04aAotV8P8HAQ

I use this. It is super cheap and it met all of my school's requirements. 

Don't buy it if u actually have a health condition which requires you to visit a physician often....

http://www.internationalstudentinsurance.com/student-health-insurance/benefits.php?gclid=Cj0KEQjwnIm7BRDSs42KxLS8-6YBEiQAfDWP6M3c8mVOzk3w_AZPHABls_dGCgiOVaqKucRgyTMVi04aAotV8P8HAQ

I use this. It is super cheap and it met all of my school's requirements. 

Don't buy it if u actually have a health condition which requires you to visit a physician often....

Thanks for the replies guys.

The thing with these insurances...what if i sign up for them, request a waiver through school, only to be denied by the school?

Would the insurance company refund you the amount you signed up with?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to update for anyone who might be going through this.

Was able to get my school's insurance waived after getting it through BCBS. My school rejected ISI and Compass insurance for not being fully "ACA compliant", but accepted BCBS no questions asked. Tugo and Manulife are fantastic options as well, but some schools (mine) specifically wants insurance from a US company. Just glad i'll be paying ~1/4th the amount my school's insurance would've cost me.  

Thanks everyone for your help !!

Archived