Premed 101 Forums

Hey,

Does anyone have any insight as to what areas are like /pros and cons to each living area in Windsor?

I've read the housing booklet but wanted to solicit a bit more advice from those who've attended or been to Windsor.

I was leaning towards staying Downtown and commuting via car, or on campus.
I like having easy access to food, the Gym, and class for the campus side of things,
but would save on cab rides and get more of the big city vibe if I stayed downtown.
Also if I stayed in Residence/on campus, I may get annoyed at the youthful and carefree undergrads, but also may
make many more friends.

Anyone wrestling with this same living issue?

Hey :) 

First off, congrats on getting into med school!!! 

I've been accepted to the Windsor campus too, so I'm having the same issues as you.

A lot of med students live on campus/close to campus, so it'll be easier to meet up with ppl, adn you'll have easier access to campus facilities. If you really want to experience the 'downtown life' you can always move downtown in 2nd year once you've gotten to know the city better and made friends.

As for residence: according to the booklet put together by the current students, very few med students on the Windsor campus actually live on residence, and I'm guessing it'll mostly be first year undergrads. And living on residence/student housing will be more expensive than renting a room elsewhere.

However, if you live on res, you don't have to sign a 1 year lease, which means that you don't have to go through the hassle of finding a tenant for the summer (if you don't want to stay in Windsor). Since I'll be going home in the summer, I'll most likely end up living in res/student housing.

Also, I wonder if we'll get access to uWindsor's food, gym, etc. if we don't live on res, seeing as technically we're not uWindsor students. So that's something to look into as well.

Anyone else have any input??

Hi guys, I'm a 2019 at the Windsor campus, but not originally from Windsor. Congrats to both of you for getting in to Schulich! I don't often post on here, but I noticed no one had given you an answer yet, so I'll do my best to offer a bit of my perspective. Apologies for the impending text wall!

Hey,

Does anyone have any insight as to what areas are like /pros and cons to each living area in Windsor?

I've read the housing booklet but wanted to solicit a bit more advice from those who've attended or been to Windsor.

I was leaning towards staying Downtown and commuting via car, or on campus.
I like having easy access to food, the Gym, and class for the campus side of things,
but would save on cab rides and get more of the big city vibe if I stayed downtown.
Also if I stayed in Residence/on campus, I may get annoyed at the youthful and carefree undergrads, but also may
make many more friends.

Anyone wrestling with this same living issue?

Most of my class - and definitely the majority of those not originally from Windsor - lives within a short walk of campus (mostly just to the east on Askin Ave, Randolph Ave, etc). The big advantages I see to living that close are probably being able to walk to class/gym (especially if you like to sleep longer), and living nearby to a lot of your classmates, so it's a bit easier to participate in socials/etc. The biggest downside is probably that the area is a bit older, and some (but not all) of your housing options will be a bit run down for the price, since it is a student neighbourhood. Also, if you don't own a car, grocery shopping would be a bit of a pain, since the major grocery stores are not within walking distance and Windsor public transit is not very good.

I live a bit southeast of downtown and commute to campus by car. I have about a 10 minute drive each way, regardless of the time of day, since traffic is generally pretty good in Windsor. Finding parking on campus has never been an issue, for me. Living downtown can definitely save you money on cabs if you see yourself going out a lot, but remember that many of your classmates will likely be living near campus, so if you want to drink at social events they're hosting, you may end up needing to cab one or both ways, anyhow. I happen to live walking distance from a grocery store, but if you lived closer to the city centre (Oullette and University area), you wouldn't be very close to any. The waterfront near downtown is also a really nice area, and there's more interesting shops, restaurants, and businesses around than you can find near campus. I'm planning to stay where I am during clerkship, since it's pretty close to both of the major hospital sites in town, so that's also a plus. If you live downtown, I would recommend having access to a car - as I mentioned, the busing system is pretty bad - as it will make going out to get groceries and getting to social events or the gym much easier.

I would strongly recommend against living in the uWindsor residence buildings during medical school. There's a lot of problems associated with trying to do so, not least of which is the fact that our academic year is longer than the undergrads, and the residences have a mandatory move-out date near the end of April (more than a month before you'll be finished first year). I spoke to the first year program lead in Windsor about it, and he said that he thinks maybe 1 or 2 students in the history of the program have tried it, and I didn't get the impression that they had a great time of it.

Importantly, I can just about guarantee that you'll have no trouble making friends at the Windsor campus regardless of where you live. We tend to a pretty tight-knit group! :)

Hey :)

First off, congrats on getting into med school!!! 

I've been accepted to the Windsor campus too, so I'm having the same issues as you.

A lot of med students live on campus/close to campus, so it'll be easier to meet up with ppl, adn you'll have easier access to campus facilities. If you really want to experience the 'downtown life' you can always move downtown in 2nd year once you've gotten to know the city better and made friends.

As for residence: according to the booklet put together by the current students, very few med students on the Windsor campus actually live on residence, and I'm guessing it'll mostly be first year undergrads. And living on residence/student housing will be more expensive than renting a room elsewhere.

However, if you live on res, you don't have to sign a 1 year lease, which means that you don't have to go through the hassle of finding a tenant for the summer (if you don't want to stay in Windsor). Since I'll be going home in the summer, I'll most likely end up living in res/student housing.

Also, I wonder if we'll get access to uWindsor's food, gym, etc. if we don't live on res, seeing as technically we're not uWindsor students. So that's something to look into as well.

Anyone else have any input??

As above, I would strongly recommend against living in uWindsor's residence buildings. As well, if cost is your major motivator, make sure you are also factoring the cost of food into your calculations - the residences have a mandatory meal plan that would cost upwards of $4,000 per year - as far as I'm aware, they also only have shared kitchens, so cooking for yourself to minimize food costs might be difficult. Admittedly I would be surprised if you were able to easily find a summer tenant to sublet an apartment in Windsor, but rents are generally low compared to many other Ontario cities and it would only be unoccupied for 2 or 3 months. You may also be able to find landlords willing to let you sign an 8 or 9 month (or even monthly) lease - this may be easier to bargain for farther away from campus, as real estate in the rest of Windsor is generally a buyer's/renter's market.

As a student at the Windsor campus you have access to the vast majority of the university services available to uWindsor students, including the gym, student health services, the campus library, etc. You need to let most of these services know that you are a Schulich medical student, though, as we sometimes need to be dealt with a bit differently than typical uWindsor students (e.g. we can purchase a 9 month parking pass not available to undergrads, because our academic term is longer). Anything not available to you through uWindsor (e.g. student financial services), is provided by Western.

If you have any other questions about Schulich, or especially Windsor, I'll do my best answer them!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys, I'm a 2019 at the Windsor campus, but not originally from Windsor. Congrats to both of you for getting in to Schulich! I don't often post on here, but I noticed no one had given you an answer yet, so I'll do my best to offer a bit of my perspective. Apologies for the impending text wall!

Most of my class - and definitely the majority of those not originally from Windsor - lives within a short walk of campus (mostly just to the east on Askin Ave, Randolph Ave, etc). The big advantages I see to living that close are probably being able to walk to class/gym (especially if you like to sleep longer), and living nearby to a lot of your classmates, so it's a bit easier to participate in socials/etc. The biggest downside is probably that the area is a bit older, and some (but not all) of your housing options will be a bit run down for the price, since it is a student neighbourhood. Also, if you don't own a car, grocery shopping would be a bit of a pain, since the major grocery stores are not within walking distance and Windsor public transit is not very good.

I live a bit southeast of downtown and commute to campus by car. I have about a 10 minute drive each way, regardless of the time of day, since traffic is generally pretty good in Windsor. Finding parking on campus has never been an issue, for me. Living downtown can definitely save you money on cabs if you see yourself going out a lot, but remember that many of your classmates will likely be living near campus, so if you want to drink at social events they're hosting, you may end up needing to cab one or both ways, anyhow. I happen to live walking distance from a grocery store, but if you lived closer to the city centre (Oullette and University area), you wouldn't be very close to any. The waterfront near downtown is also a really nice area, and there's more interesting shops, restaurants, and businesses around than you can find near campus. I'm planning to stay where I am during clerkship, since it's pretty close to both of the major hospital sites in town, so that's also a plus. If you live downtown, I would recommend having access to a car - as I mentioned, the busing system is pretty bad - as it will make going out to get groceries and getting to social events or the gym much easier.

I would strongly recommend against living in the uWindsor residence buildings during medical school. There's a lot of problems associated with trying to do so, not least of which is the fact that our academic year is longer than the undergrads, and the residences have a mandatory move-out date near the end of April (more than a month before you'll be finished first year). I spoke to the first year program lead in Windsor about it, and he said that he thinks maybe 1 or 2 students in the history of the program have tried it, and I didn't get the impression that they had a great time of it.

Importantly, I can just about guarantee that you'll have no trouble making friends at the Windsor campus regardless of where you live. We tend to a pretty tight-knit group! :)

As above, I would strongly recommend against living in uWindsor's residence buildings. As well, if cost is your major motivator, make sure you are also factoring the cost of food into your calculations - the residences have a mandatory meal plan that would cost upwards of $4,000 per year - as far as I'm aware, they also only have shared kitchens, so cooking for yourself to minimize food costs might be difficult. Admittedly I would be surprised if you were able to easily find a summer tenant to sublet an apartment in Windsor, but rents are generally low compared to many other Ontario cities and it would only be unoccupied for 2 or 3 months. You may also be able to find landlords willing to let you sign an 8 or 9 month (or even monthly) lease - this may be easier to bargain for farther away from campus, as real estate in the rest of Windsor is generally a buyer's/renter's market.

As a student at the Windsor campus you have access to the vast majority of the university services available to uWindsor students, including the gym, student health services, the campus library, etc. You need to let most of these services know that you are a Schulich medical student, though, as we sometimes need to be dealt with a bit differently than typical uWindsor students (e.g. we can purchase a 9 month parking pass not available to undergrads, because our academic term is longer). Anything not available to you through uWindsor (e.g. student financial services), is provided by Western.

If you have any other questions about Schulich, or especially Windsor, I'll do my best answer them!

Thank you so much!! This helped a lot :)