Premed 101 Forums

Do I Need Another Year Of Full Time School?

So, I've found myself having to take a second gap year since graduating. Ideally, I'd like to take two courses next year; an English that I need for UBC/some American schools in the fall, and a medical imaging course in the winter that I've been interested in taking for a long time. I do feel a bit of pressure to take a full course load, though... should I be looking into that?

A bit of background info:

Ontario resident (SWOMEN)

1st year: 3.58 OMSAS

2nd year: 3.73 OMSAS

3rd year: 3.40 OMSAS

4th year: 3.84 OMSAS (graduated here)

5th year: 3.95 OMSAS (classifies as "special year" for Schulich)

Total OMSAS GPA: 3.70

MCAT: 14/10/14 (PS/VR/BS)

ECs: Above average

Thank you in advance :)

Maybe. But it depends-are you for sure going to the US if you get in there?

You'll get an interview at Western, and thus have a very high chance at acceptance. The only school I see changing with a full course load is Ottawa, and better chances at Mac. I'd disagree with the above "Ace Casper and should get interview", as a 3.7/10 is low for Mac. Possible, but low. 

It depends what you're planning on doing if this cycle doesn't work out. What's Plan B? Are you ok working (just assuming here) for a third year if you don't get in, or would you rather apply again with maybe better chances at Ottawa. Is a another year worth it for 1 school? It's up to you, really. 

You'll get an interview at Western, and thus have a very high chance at acceptance. The only school I see changing with a full course load is Ottawa, and better chances at Mac. I'd disagree with the above "Ace Casper and should get interview", as a 3.7/10 is low for Mac. Possible, but low. 

It depends what you're planning on doing if this cycle doesn't work out. What's Plan B? Are you ok working (just assuming here) for a third year if you don't get in, or would you rather apply again with maybe better chances at Ottawa. Is a another year worth it for 1 school? It's up to you, really. 

10 VR is not bad. With 3.7 GPA, that's about average, to slightly below average. Casper's worth 32%, so if he/she aces that, it's essentially making them the average interviewed/accepted applicant. 

I'd rather stay here and attend Schulich than go to the states, but beggars definitely cannot be choosers. I think if I decide to take one course per semester for the coming year, I'd be going all in on getting accepted this cycle (especially given that my MCAT is basically useless after this cycle). It'd feel silly to take 2 courses this year, not get accepted, then proceed to take 10 courses next cycle. I do understand where you're coming from though, it'd help my chances if I have to reapply (god forbid). The issue I'm running into is that I've already taken most of the undergraduate courses that interest me at my school, so I'm not sure I'd be able to fill my schedule with courses I'd be interested in. Thanks for your input though, I really appreciate it :)

The English courses may help with UBC, but I don't know about your GPA, seems on the low end. Look into it though. Overall, I'd suggest a second degree, or acing one more year to be competitive for 2 year schools and Ottawa. 

As it stands...

Schulich - Interview

Queens - Unlikely, but never know.

McMaster - Ace Casper and should get interview

Toronto - Unlikely, GPA too low. Avg GPA was 3.9+

Ottawa - No go. Dont meet cutoffs

Sask - Potential interview if 83% avg (Double check if they still accept old MCAT)

Calgary - No go - 10 VR

Alberta - Unlikely, GPA is too low

UBC - Unknown, someone else can chime in

Quebec schools - Unknown

Maritime schools - Possible if you have a connection, but the GPA seems low still. 

My old MCAT score prevents me from applying to Alberta/Calgary/Dalhousie this cycle and Queens/Schulich next cycle, but seeing the schools laid out like this does help me see the importance of further GPA repair. I'll take a full course load if I manage to find four other courses that interest me. Thank you, skypemmi. :)

My old MCAT score prevents me from applying to Alberta/Calgary/Dalhousie this cycle and Queens/Schulich next cycle, but seeing the schools laid out like this does help me see the importance of further GPA repair. I'll take a full course load if I manage to find four other courses that interest me. Thank you, skypemmi. :)

How does your MCAT keep you from applying to western if you're SWOMEN? And why does it keep you from applying to Queen's? 

How does your MCAT keep you from applying to western if you're SWOMEN? And why does it keep you from applying to Queen's? 

Good point. Completely forgot that the Alberta schools only consider new MCAT. As Sunnyy mentioned though, Schulich is fine, they accept old MCAT. I think Queens uses old mcat too, but double check. 

I believe Queens and Schulich have stated that they won't accept the old MCAT anymore for next cycle (2017-2018 cycle). I could be wrong, though.

Archived