Premed 101 Forums

So last year I got a 509 on the mcat

131 bio

127 phys/chem

126 verbal

125 psych

Agpa: 85%

Ec: ~27

My bio score has improved from the two times I took it on the old format but chem/phys and verbal have stayed the same no matter what I've tried. Last year I did over 300 verbal passages and it made no difference compared to not doing any verbal at all 2 years ago.

But what I'm really worried about is my psych score which Is basically a 8 on the old scale. Turns out that studying the Princeton review book and exam krackers for 3 months isn't enough to learn even half the vocabulary that would be on the exam. The third time because I was forced into it since Albertan medical schools no longer accepted the old mcat. I'm afraid they'll reject me subjectively at the beey end because of my psych scorw regardless of everything else.

My previous cycle I had a 85% adjusted gpa and ECs score was 27. I just barely didnt make the interview cut of. This year I've more than doubled my extracurricular activities with things I enjoyed doing.

I'm currently in Fort mac helping to clean the city for the people moving back. I'm working 82 hours a week.I tried to study mcat on top as well but I simply cannot do it. I was just about finishing my psychology review when i refunded the july 6 exam because i was quite literally losing my mind. I don't think I can take the mcat at all this summer unless I leave my job. I love this job and I'm working with people and being exposed to things I would've never been otherwise.

In my shoes, would you leave and try to retake the mcat once again or do you guys think it's not worth retaking for UBC since they don't seem to be putting much emphasis on it.

So last year I got a 509 on the mcat

131 bio

127 phys/chem

126 verbal

125 psych

Agpa: 85%

Ec: ~27

My bio score has improved from the two times I took it on the old format but chem/phys and verbal have stayed the same no matter what I've tried. Last year I did over 300 verbal passages and it made no difference compared to not doing any verbal at all 2 years ago.

But what I'm really worried about is my psych score which Is basically a 8 on the old scale. Turns out that studying the Princeton review book and exam krackers for 3 months isn't enough to learn even half the vocabulary that would be on the exam. The third time because I was forced into it since Albertan medical schools no longer accepted the old mcat. I'm afraid they'll reject me subjectively at the beey end because of my psych scorw regardless of everything else.

My previous cycle I had a 85% adjusted gpa and ECs score was 27. I just barely didnt make the interview cut of. This year I've more than doubled my extracurricular activities with things I enjoyed doing.

I'm currently in Fort mac helping to clean the city for the people moving back. I'm working 82 hours a week.I tried to study mcat on top as well but I simply cannot do it. I was just about finishing my psychology review when i refunded the july 6 exam because i was quite literally losing my mind. I don't think I can take the mcat at all this summer unless I leave my job. I love this job and I'm working with people and being exposed to things I would've never been otherwise.

In my shoes, would you leave and try to retake the mcat once again or do you guys think it's not worth retaking for UBC since they don't seem to be putting much emphasis on it.

It is absolutley not worth retaking for UBC at this point, just keep it - its not a terrible score by means, its not amazing, but its not 125s across the board.

Don't worry. Just hope your AQ/NAQ is enough to get an interview.

That's approximately 80-85% percentile being conservative.

Translates to about a 29-31 ish. That's good enough for UBC. Move on. Your AGPA should give you a score between 22-26 and if you stay at 27, you'll probably be right at the border of getting an interview. Getting a higher MCAT score isn't going to help.

Good luck.

Well I was only like 0.4 points from getting the interview. My ecs have improved significantly this year. I'm confident my naq is over 30 now

I'd be careful with overconfidence, applicant pools change between cycles - but it seems you've done everything you could to keep improving, so that is a good sign.

Well I was only like 0.4 points from getting the interview. My ecs have improved significantly this year. I'm confident my naq is over 30 now

I really hope your NAQ is over 30 now but I agree with Commons. I know people who have come so close to interview one year and didn't get an interview invite the following year. It's all dependent on the applicant pool, if the strength of applicants is quite competitive then it's hard to get a score above 30 on NAQ. I think your MCAT score is good, but if you honestly think that you can improve it then by all means it won't hurt your application. MCAT is factored into the file review after the interview, so it will affect your overall acceptance but not the interview invitation. Personally my MCAT was 29 and with an above average interview score, I got rejected. It's hard to say what will get you in at the end, I wish you the very best!

I really hope your NAQ is over 30 now but I agree with Commons. I know people who have come so close to interview one year and didn't get an interview invite the following year. It's all dependent on the applicant pool, if the strength of applicants is quite competitive then it's hard to get a score above 30 on NAQ. I think your MCAT score is good, but if you honestly think that you can improve it then by all means it won't hurt your application. MCAT is factored into the file review after the interview, so it will affect your overall acceptance but not the interview invitation. Personally my MCAT was 29 and with an above average interview score, I got rejected. It's hard to say what will get you in at the end, I wish you the very best!

Do you know why you were rejected? Do you think it was the MCAT?

My best guess is either my GPA or MCAT got me rejected. I have seen people with low 80's get in this year so I'm guessing since both of mine were kinda on the lower end they rejected me. Can't change my GPA since I'm done with my degree so figured I'll improve my MCAT score.

Have you considered doing another year of courses this year, in case you don't get an interview again. It's the one thing you can 'count on' more than anything else to get you a chance at an interview. Then, if you are rejected again, the next time you apply you'll know you've improved your scores and made steps forward

I wouldnt risk going back to university and doing another year. Im happy with my 85% and proud of it. It was a absolute nightmare to achieve it and i still have nightmares a year later. Biochemistry at SFU wasnt easy.

Yeah, your GPA is not the limiting factor. Just keep working on NAQ and doing other things you enjoy until you get into med.

Life goes on, and there is a life outside of medicine, and plenty of things i'm sure you can get involved in or work towards in the meantime.

Archived