Premed 101 Forums

As An Out Of Province Student, Is It Worth Applying?

I am going into my 4th year UG (ontario), and will be applying to medical school this cycle. I was not sure if it will be worth applying and going through the process of Dalhousie, given that I am an OOP student and the stats I heard. 

Year: 4 UG
cGPA: 3.96

Last 2 years: 3.995
MCAT (not happy with my 1st attempt): writing the 2nd attempt in August
ECs: meh, nothing great. Tons of research experience with no publications, 2 physician observer ship experience (community and in a hospital), tutoring on campus, summer camp counselor, Acting, Play authorship and directing, managing fundraising events, President of 2 clubs on campus, volunteer at a hospital..

I will really appreciate any insights about being OOP 

Thanks

There is no real way to say what anyone's chances are for the OOP category, except maybe those that did undergrad in Nova Scotia or previously lived there. People do get in without any connections, but I've also seen many undergrad friends (mostly from ON) apply to Dal after being in school here for 4 years and not get interviews, but get accepted to multiple Ontario med schools.

It's very hit or miss, like any OOP application. It's just not as clear with Dal what they're looking for. To be honest, I wouldn't worry much if you don't get an interview, because you should get at least a couple in ON, or wherever you're from. It never hurts to try, but don't let it get to you if it doesn't work out.

There is no real way to say what anyone's chances are for the OOP category, except maybe those that did undergrad in Nova Scotia or previously lived there. People do get in without any connections, but I've also seen many undergrad friends (mostly from ON) apply to Dal after being in school here for 4 years and not get interviews, but get accepted to multiple Ontario med schools.

It's very hit or miss, like any OOP application. It's just not as clear with Dal what they're looking for. To be honest, I wouldn't worry much if you don't get an interview, because you should get at least a couple in ON, or wherever you're from. It never hurts to try, but don't let it get to you if it doesn't work out.

Thanks. I will probably apply and hope for the best. 

Thanks for your comment. Would you mind telling me about the maritime connection essay/requirement? I am not really sure what that is?

Hey, you can find the essay requirements on Dal's website (http://medicine.dal.ca/content/dam/dalhousie/pdf/faculty/medicine/departments/core-units/admissions/Personal%20Essay%20-%20working%20doc%20-%20website.pdf).

I wouldn't let the Maritime essay dissuade you from applying to Dal. You have good stats and better than you think ECs. With that being said, it's a holistic evaluation, so while two people may have the same stats/ECs, they will prob be evaluated differently based on their other differences. Nevertheless, I didn't have a strong connection to the Maritimes and I got an interview and eventually got accepted as an OOP. Just be honest with why you want to apply and try  not to write about anything you think they want to hear. I know this is vague and nebulous advice, but it's honestly the best advice you will get.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived