Premed 101 Forums

Advice For Naq

During my MSc degree, I was awarded a national scholarship (CIHR) which was given only to a handful of students at the University I attended. I am in a bit of a dilemma as to whether or not I should include this in the Awards section and the High Level of Performance section or in just one of them.

Any suggestions?

During my MSc degree, I was awarded a national scholarship (CIHR) which was given only to a handful of students at the University I attended. I am in a bit of a dilemma as to whether or not I should include this in the Awards section and the High Level of Performance section or in just one of them.

Any suggestions?

I believe the FAQ says to not repeat activities and only place it where you think it fits. I would guess that your scholarship fits better in awards.

I was very lucky and got the NSERC equivalent this year. I've never thought to include it under high level of performance. From UBC's website it seems as though it should be included in the employment section. I am not sure what the "although you won't be penalized if you [put it in the awards section]" is suggesting.

"

4. I received an award that allowed me to receive a salary while doing research. Should I list it both in Awards and Employment History?

This one is a bit tricky – we consider this type of award to be more of a stipend than a traditional award, so we would say it’s not really necessary to put it in the Awards section (although you won’t be penalized if you do).  The research experience should be included in the Employment History section for sure and you can mention the award in the title or description.

"

this is from the ubc admissions blog (posted on July 21, 2015).

Any suggestions?

I personally think it fits better in the awards section. I included all of my awards and scholarships there and gave a brief description of what it is and why it was awarded.

Thanks for the feedback everyone! I emailed the admissions office as well and they suggested that I put it as employment. However, I was also leaning to include it as an award because employment would cover more of what role I had as a graduate student whereas if I had it as an award, I could give some insight on the uniqueness of the award.

Now to deal with the 350 character count....

If you have room in 'Awards', put it there. If you have five other awards already and nothing in 'High Performance', my personal opinion would be to put it into 'High Performance' (maybe get an extra point) :) The help guide says you aren't penalized for putting things in the wrong sections. I also had a national level scholarship which I included in the 'High Performance' Section because I had nothing else to put there :-)

At the end of the day, go with your gut instinct :)

Archived