Premed 101 Forums

Realistic Chances?

g4m3r2

Hey guys,

After third time of being put on WL/rejection from UBC as an IP, I'm considering applying to all Canadian schools. My question is, should I even bother applying even to the most competitive schools like Toronto or McGill? I'd greatly appreciate your feedback on how realistic my chances are in getting into those schools. Thanks!

Stats:
Full IB program grad
cGPA: 82-83%; aGPA: 84-85%?; Prereq: 83%
(Basically 3.7-3.8)
MCAT: 28 first, 34 the second (11VR/12PS/11BS)
Nonacademics: Graduated from a pharmacy program this year, 3 years in community pharmacy as an assistant, 1 month rotation in hospital under a pharmacist, 4 years volunteering at hospital, 3 years cadets (think 1 step below military reserves, and for teens. Similar idea as scouts but military based) -- co-led squadron band, playing in church band, martial arts for 11 years, president for a club x 2 years, vice president for student society. Toastmasters x 3 months. Duke of Edinburgh Award level gold, recognized provincially at a poster competition in senior year of high school.

Publications (new this year): 2 as second author
Volunteering at a crisis line (new this year)
One award (new this year)

I am a huge proponent of trying. You won't know if you'll get in unless you at least try. If the application fees won't cripple you financially, apply to as many as possible!! Now, having said that, it also helps to target your application to schools you have the best shot at. Combing these threads for stats on OOP students accepted into schools is helpful, as well as reading the websites of the schools.

For example, as OOP USask relies entirely on MCAT score to give interview invites (top 97% percentile were automatically given an interview this year, top 96% percentile were placed on the interview waitlist).

For Ontario schools, it would help to have a yearly breakdown of your GPA. Some schools (i.e. Queens) only look at your best two years. NOSM would be great if you are from a northern or rural area. OttawaU you would need a high GPA (around 3.9) whereas for Mac they look at your CARS/VR score and you have to do an online CASPer test (worth about 30% of score determining if you get an interview or not).

U of C you need a minimum GPA of 3.8 to apply as OOP (over a minimum of 2 years), but then they look a lot at your ECs.

Good luck !

I would apply to McMaster, 3.7-3.8 cGPA, 11 VR gives you a shot, not the greatest shot as an OOP but definitely worth applying. Realistically, you probably aren't going to get into McGill or UofT with your GPA, but you can apply to UofT, you never know, its just your GPA that is pulling you down. I'm not too familiar with McGill so can't comment. 

Double check using the OMSAS scale that you have 2 full-time years that meet the course level requirements and at 3.7+, and if you do apply to Western because you're basically assured an interview. 

Most importantly, three cycles with waitlists seems to suggest that you might be struggling a bit with the interviews. If you meeting the Western GPA requirements, or even otherwise, I'd suggest starting reading about social determinants of health, etc., and practicing questions  as soon as you can (not even MMI specifically, I think that's low-yield after a point). Really solidify examples/answers of your experiences that fit the Can Meds competencies, and work on tone, presentation, etc.

Hey all,

Thanks for your replies.

I've narrowed the list down to MUN, U of M, U of S, and UBC.

*Edit: MAC as well

U of T and McGill will obviously be reach schools.

I can't apply to Albertan schools or Queens because of the new MCAT requirement.

Not sure if I can apply to Western, because my two "best" years with 30 credits from Sept to April had a GPA < 3.7 (I had 28 credits for two of my years, and a year with 30 credits which had 18 credits of pass fail because it was a practicum)

U of T I think I qualify for GPA adjustment, but even then my GPA is like 84-85 at best. 

Side note: does anyone know how to calculate your GPA if you went to two different schools that use two different grading scales (4.0 and 4.33)?

Hey all,

Thanks for your replies.

I can't apply to Albertan schools or Queens because of the new MCAT requirement.

Not sure if I can apply to Western, because my two "best" years with 30 credits from Sept to April had a GPA < 3.7 (I had 28 credits for two of my years, and a year with 30 credits which had 18 credits of pass fail because it was a practicum)

U of T I think I qualify for GPA adjustment, but even then my GPA is like 84-85 at best. 

Side note: does anyone know how to calculate your GPA if you went to two different schools that use two different grading scales (4.0 and 4.33)?

Are you IP for MUN (NB, PEI, Yukon maybe)? Your MCAT score looks good but their GPA cutoff for OOP applicants is deceptively high from what I've seen!

You could also consider applying to Dal, depending on your GPA breakdown and assuming you have any maritime connection/interest in attending med school in the maritimes. Good luck!

Edit: Actually I think Dal is only accepting the new MCAT this year so that may not be an option after all

You could also consider applying to Dal, depending on your GPA breakdown and assuming you have any maritime connection/interest in attending med school in the maritimes. Good luck!

Edit: Actually I think Dal is only accepting the new MCAT this year so that may not be an option after all

I'd love to apply to Dal, but I don't meet the minimum 3.7 GPA for every year requirement :(. Thanks for your input though!

What is the MUN GPA cutoff? I thought it was 3.7?

Hey all,

Thanks for your replies.

Queen's new MCAT requirement does not apply for this cycle.

http://meds.queensu.ca/education/undergraduate/prospective_students/application_process/mcat

They don't have cutoffs at all for IP applicants but I think I remember people over on the MUN forum unofficially figuring out that the OOP cutoff was around 90% this year. I could be wrong, but I do know it's likely quite a bit higher than your GPA so I wouldn't recommend wasting money on the huge application fee. Call and check with MUN though, they're very helpful over the phone!

Thanks everyone for your responses :)

I'll call MUN and ask them what the OOP cutoffs are

What are everyones' thoughts about McMaster and Queen's? 

For Queen's, seems like people who got invites with my GPA are those finishing up their MSc...

Thanks everyone for your responses :)

I'll call MUN and ask them what the OOP cutoffs are

What are everyones' thoughts about McMaster and Queen's? 

For Queen's, seems like people who got invites with my GPA are those finishing up their MSc...

Before we can give you our thoughts on your chances to either of Queens or McMaster, we will need you to convert your grades into your OMSAS GPA. Having the pure average is not good enough and it would be better to have a year by year break down of your GPA and whether each year has a full course load

They don't have cutoffs at all for IP applicants but I think I remember people over on the MUN forum unofficially figuring out that the OOP cutoff was around 90% this year. I could be wrong, but I do know it's likely quite a bit higher than your GPA so I wouldn't recommend wasting money on the huge application fee. Call and check with MUN though, they're very helpful over the phone!

So I called MUN the other day, and they said they still don't have strict cutoffs even for OOP. But they suggested 3.7 and 10's on all MCAT section to be competitive...But they do only take like 5 people in a 70 people class. I think the lady said 350 OOP's applied last year. Thoughts?

Before we can give you our thoughts on your chances to either of Queens or McMaster, we will need you to convert your grades into your OMSAS GPA. Having the pure average is not good enough and it would be better to have a year by year break down of your GPA and whether each year has a full course load

Year 1: 28 credits, 3.82/4.33 without summer, 4.33/4.33 in that summer semester summer

Year 2: 33 credits, 77.5% without summer, about 75% that summer

Year 3: 28 credits, 78.8 without summer, nothing that summer

Year 4: 30 credits, 80.2% without summer, 9 credits of 94.5% average that summer

Year 5: 12 credits and 18 P/F. The average of 12 credits = 92%, graduated

So I called MUN the other day, and they said they still don't have strict cutoffs even for OOP. But they suggested 3.7 and 10's on all MCAT section to be competitive...But they do only take like 5 people in a 70 people class. I think the lady said 350 OOP's applied last year. Thoughts?

Year 1: 28 credits, 3.82/4.33 without summer, 4.33/4.33 in that summer semester summer

Year 2: 33 credits, 77.5% without summer, about 75% that summer

Year 3: 28 credits, 78.8 without summer, nothing that summer

Year 4: 30 credits, 80.2% without summer, 9 credits of 94.5% average that summer

Year 5: 12 credits and 18 P/F. The average of 12 credits = 92%, graduated

They meant the OMSAS scale I believe, which is out of 4. Unfortunately, we still can't tell you much until you convert your GPA into the 4.0 scale, which needs to be done a per-course basis

Archived