Premed 101 Forums

Mcat Score Release

GHouse

Hey,

I am having trouble deciding on whether its better to write the MCAT on an earlier test date (Aug 5) while not feeling fully prepared yet - but getting scores before Oct 1 - or writing the MCAT on Sept 1 and getting the score after application.

By pushing the date I will basically have a month more of practice/review however I am not sure if the risk is worth it as I could end up doing poorly and waste an application.

Let me know what you think

Personally, I say wait the extra month and write on Sept 1st. Writing the MCAT when you don't already feel ready will add more stress to an already stressful event. I think it is important to take the time to do it right the first time.

I think the only advantage to rushing to write the MCAT would be knowing your score ahead of time to potentially save on application fees. I just want to add though, that even though you will receive your scores before Oct. 1st knowing your scores still won't help you know if you stand a shot or not. I'm assuming you are applying in Ontario because you mention Oct 1st as an important date. Except U of T which has hard cutoffs (124 across the board) and Mac (min 123 in CARS), other schools don't know their cutoffs until they receive the applications (i.e. Western, Queens). The remaining schools don't require the MCAT ... yet ... (NOSM, OttawaU). The U of T/Mac cutoffs aren't high, so unless you bomb the test, you should be OK in terms of clearing the cutoffs.

I think you have very little to gain and much to lose if you rush to write the MCAT. As people on this forum have mentioned, the road to med school is a marathon, not a sprint. Doing well on the MCAT is more important than knowing your score ahead of time. I think you should apply this year regardless and let your MCAT scores fall where they may. Good luck!

Personally, I say wait the extra month and write on Sept 1st. Writing the MCAT when you don't already feel ready will add more stress to an already stressful event. I think it is important to take the time to do it right the first time.

I think the only advantage to rushing to write the MCAT would be knowing your score ahead of time to potentially save on application fees. I just want to add though, that even though you will receive your scores before Oct. 1st knowing your scores still won't help you know if you stand a shot or not. I'm assuming you are applying in Ontario because you mention Oct 1st as an important date. Except U of T which has hard cutoffs (124 across the board) and Mac (min 123 in CARS), other schools don't know their cutoffs until they receive the applications (i.e. Western, Queens). The remaining schools don't require the MCAT ... yet ... (NOSM, OttawaU). The U of T/Mac cutoffs aren't high, so unless you bomb the test, you should be OK in terms of clearing the cutoffs.

I think you have very little to gain and much to lose if you rush to write the MCAT. As people on this forum have mentioned, the road to med school is a marathon, not a sprint. Doing well on the MCAT is more important than knowing your score ahead of time. I think you should apply this year regardless and let your MCAT scores fall where they may. Good luck!

Thank you so much!!!

I am definitely agree with you and think I should apply regardless. Thus if I don't feel ready for my Aug 5th test date I will push it to Sept 1st. This way I have more time to study and let the cards fall where they may!!

Many thanks!!

Archived