Premed 101 Forums

I'm currently a prospective physiotherapy or occupational therapy student in BC (still haven't decided which one I want to pursue). As someone who is pursuing a drastic career change, I don't really know much about these careers in terms of supply, demand, etc.

Before I really invest in my decision of wanting to pursue these careers, I'm curious to know what are your guys' opinions on what the job prospects look like for new/recent grads (particularly BC and Canada in general?). 

Are there any PT's/OT's here that can attest to what the situation is like now and how it may look like in the future? Thanks in advance, your help is really appreciated!

Job prospects are pretty good for both fields, especially if you're flexible on location. Variety of settings etc.  Many grads have to do some part-time work, or between multiple clinics(if private outpatient) for the first few months at least out of grad, but then settle into things easily after that.

60k-80k 30-45/hr most places, but sadly you'll be forced to do lots of part time work as finding a clinic owner who will bill you 80k per year is very unlikely.

so basically its a job for those who didn't make it to dental/med school and wants to do something with their kinesiology/bachelors of science degree.

Still a decent option, especially if you messed up your early years in undergrad and want to do something with your life later

60k-80k 30-45/hr most places, but sadly you'll be forced to do lots of part time work as finding a clinic owner who will bill you 80k per year is very unlikely.

so basically its a job for those who didn't make it to dental/med school and wants to do something with their kinesiology/bachelors of science degree.

Still a decent option, especially if you messed up your early years in undergrad and want to do something with your life later

OR... Its a job for students who don't want to do med/dental school and are more interested in the physical healing aspect! Jobs will come and go but liking what you do is the important thing. :)

..so you're saying nobody actually wants to be a physical or occupational therapist? Last time I checked medicine and dentistry aren't the only careers in healthcare.

from personal experience, I can relate to JavonFuturePT, many of my friends applied to physio as a back-up to med/dent. I do however respect PT as a profession and truly believe there are people out there who are passionate and want PT as their #1 choice. But lets not jump to bashing people who might not have physio as their primary aspiration for a career and only see it as back-up   :)...on a side note, the place I used to volunteer at had a famous PT who openly admitted that he only started considering PT when he tried and failed to get to Med school

Thanks for sharing your personal experience JavonFuturePt and markar438. I'm certain many eager young students who are debating between healthcare professions can benefit from reading your thoughts and opinions.

There is no doubt that med school requires more commitment and discipline compared to PT. They have gone through tremendous amount of stress during their undergrad, med school, residency, life in general.. Even if they are in it for the money or social status (but obvs qualified in the eyes of the admission committee), I am truly grateful that there are students out there who are willing to sacrifice their time and energy to serve others. They definitely deserve all the respect and the amount of money they earn.

That being said, I love PT. I wouldn't have it any other way. Like doctors, we also exhibit many qualities that the society appreciates. I have numerous friends in med school and they respect my mindset and approach I take with each patient. At the end of the day, we are all part of the inter-related healthcare community. We must respect each profession's roles and leadership. 

For students pursuing healthcare, I applaud you! I know majority of you are more than qualified to serve in healthcare but won't get in due to the competitive nature of Canada's professional programs. Keep your head up and seek help (volunteer, employment opportunities, studying abroad if it's your true passion, etc. THERE ARE WAYS!). For students debating between different healthcare careers, SELF-REFLECTION is key. Identify your strengths & values (talk to different people, volunteer & job shadow at different sites!). Best of luck to you all and message me if you have any questions regarding ANYTHING.

Have a productive summer everyone!

Thanks for sharing your personal experience JavonFuturePt and markar438. I'm certain many eager young students who are debating between healthcare professions can benefit from reading your thoughts and opinions.

There is no doubt that med school requires more commitment and discipline compared to PT. They have gone through tremendous amount of stress during their undergrad, med school, residency, life in general.. Even if they are in it for the money or social status (but obvs qualified in the eyes of the admission committee), I am truly grateful that there are students out there who are willing to sacrifice their time and energy to serve others. They definitely deserve all the respect and the amount of money they earn.

That being said, I love PT. I wouldn't have it any other way. Like doctors, we also exhibit many qualities that the society appreciates. I have numerous friends in med school and they respect my mindset and approach I take with each patient. At the end of the day, we are all part of the inter-related healthcare community. We must respect each profession's roles and leadership. 

For students pursuing healthcare, I applaud you! I know majority of you are more than qualified to serve in healthcare but won't get in due to the competitive nature of Canada's professional programs. Keep your head up and seek help (volunteer, employment opportunities, studying abroad if it's your true passion, etc. THERE ARE WAYS!). For students debating between different healthcare careers, SELF-REFLECTION is key. Identify your strengths & values (talk to different people, volunteer & job shadow at different sites!). Best of luck to you all and message me if you have any questions regarding ANYTHING.

Have a productive summer everyone!

I couldn't agree with you more, I think some people lose sight of the fact that as healthcare professionals we are all trying to work together for our patients. Although salary and school might differ between professions I don't think it should be viewed in a hierarchical sense. 

:)

I couldn't agree with you more, I think some people lose sight of the fact that as healthcare professionals we are all trying to work together for our patients. Although salary and school might differ between professions I don't think it should be viewed in a hierarchical sense. 

I like your stance over this and hope everyone follows your pattern of thought

I'm sure they do and began to love it once they knew they couldn't do better :P

You still are helping people and changing someone's life, it's great, but your limited in how you do it

Seriously bro, I usually like to say out of these conversations unless they directly apply to me.  However, your attitude is absolutely detestable, and is an affront to everything that Physical Therapy stands for.  People like you are the reason that I went back to school in order to become a PT; because I had started to realize that an increasing number of individuals within the health care system are materialistic, condescending, apathetic and self-important; lacking any form of respect for the excellent and versatile career path that they have chosen.  With a little creativity, the options are limitless for this profession.   For you to pass judgement on other people the way that you have is totally unacceptable. 

Personally, I could care less about getting into the more conventional forms of Western medicine....that is not me; that is not who I am. I literally have NO INTEREST WHATSOEVER. I would rather go be an Electrician or get into some form of skilled trade, and have zero debt than do this. I am going to be utilizing my MPT degree and knowledge-base for the promotion of health and wellness and the proactive remediation of acute and chronic ailments. 

Listen "Jovan", if this career is one which is simply some form of consolation for you, then I suggest a different career that you find more suitable, especially if money is your end game.  I mean it is absolutely ridiculous.... It is SO FRUSTRATING working with individuals like yourself ( I have worked with many) that have your attitude.  If you don't believe that PT has an important role in the healthcare system... why are you wasting your "precious" time and money becoming one?  What does that say about you and your character? Do you accept defeat so easily?  ROFL.. and YOU have the audacity to undermine your future colleagues for their career choice?  Give me a break.

Archived