Premed 101 Forums

Being A Poor Canadian

Hi guys,

How does being of a low socioeconomic status affect your competitiveness? 

On one hand, med schools love diversity and most applicants come from middle to upper class backgrounds. But on the other hand, wouldn't the schools want to know that you can afford the education as a foreigner who's not eligible for a lot of subsidies/scholarships available to US citizens?

I'm not sure if I can answer your question.

But something to think about... We are QUITE fortunate to be living in Canada and have access to Canada's social safety net. I come from a lower SES as well, but I had access to health care and tuition was affordable when I attended University, and through hard work and perseverance I was able to obtain my degree, get myself a well paying, secure job, and have a comfortable lifestyle.

In the US, you need a sh*t ton of privilege to be able to afford health care and obtain a post secondary education. So all of this to say, poor is a very different experience when you're living in Canada vs. living in 'murica.

Not to discount your experience. Just food for thought.

Are you saying that a low ses canadian wouldn't be treated as equally as a low ses American because it's easier to get ahead in Canada? I don't understand what point you are trying to make?

I believe what NeuroticDoodle is trying to say is that the experiences of a student from a low SES background in Canada will be different from those of someone who grew up in US. So I'm not exactly sure how the admissions committee would treat them, but I think a US applicant would have more experiences to relate to being from a low SES background. They would be able to better illustrate what they had to do in order to get educated and support their families/themselves, how those experiences helped them mature/learn, and why they should be considered underprivileged in the application process.

Either way, being from a low SES definitely affects people in both the countries, and being SE well off is a big privilege. 

To answer OP's question- if you have genuine experiences that negatively affected you, but you learnt from them and are a better person today, you should mention them. Your interview will most likely be based on your initial applciation where you mention you are from a low SES. However, once you are accepted, they will want proof of how you will be paying for your education, and that is when you need to show them that you can still afford school.

• 3 weeks later...

However, once you are accepted, they will want proof of how you will be paying for your education, and that is when you need to show them that you can still afford school.

^This. Just something to keep in mind, especially since most US schools don't offer any financial aid/scholarships for Canadians. 

Archived