Premed 101 Forums

Employment Experience As Non-Academic Experience

Hello

As a licensed structural engineering with 5 years, I have a variety of experience ranging from dealing with construction, contractors, architects, and so on.

Would you think it is reasonable, for example, to list the time that I spent on a particular project, dealing with site personnel to ensure deadlines and concrete pours, as an non-academic experience? (I worked on a prominent project in Canada)

It seems to be odd that I could only have 350 characters for one employment that lasted 3~4 years.

Let me know - thank you.

Thomas

Good idea, I did the same for similiar jobs.  

Put as much of your experience and varied roles as possible. It is valuable experience.

Good idea, I did the same for similiar jobs.  

Put as much of your experience and varied roles as possible. It is valuable experience.

Thanks. I thought it was perhaps not allowed to put your work under non-academics. Thanks for confirming it is okay.

Thanks. I thought it was perhaps not allowed to put your work under non-academics. Thanks for confirming it is okay.

Oh sorry I may have misread your post. I meant, make sure to include all your various work experiences in the Work experience section. If its paid, it doesn't belong in the non-academic section. But if there are parts of your work (like outreach etc) that fall under the category, then perhaps that would make sense.

There is unlikely to be any real dichotemy between the work experience section and the non-academic volunteering section, just ones paid, other not paid.

• 4 weeks later...

If I have been volunteering at St. John Ambulance, do you think this experience belong to the category of diversity of experience or service ethics

I'd put it under service ethic or ability to work with others if I have space, if not then put it under diversity of experience and emphasize the amazing experiences you had.

I'd put it under service ethic or ability to work with others if I have space, if not then put it under diversity of experience and emphasize the amazing experiences you had.

I agree with ultrax3. Regardless of what category you do end up putting it in, make sure you highlight that portion of your experience appropriate to the category you chose. For example, if you put it under "service to others" make sure you highlight how you provided service to others. 

Dear UBC Med student,

1. I was a university synchronized swimmer, Diversity of experiences would fit , right? as it says on the UBC help guide

2. For the award section, what would you advise to put for the description section other than the qualifications required to receive the award and what if the award was a recognition award and no fund was given?

3. If we have been awarded by an organization for consecutive three years, can we still count them as one and group them under one entry and in the description section, just mention the number of years we have been awarded ?

4. Where would lifeguard certificate belong to if I dont have space for the award section

1. Yes, diversity of experiences would fit.

2. If you received no money, just write 0 in "amount awarded". I wrote what the award was, what competition or qualifications were involved, how I succeeded in getting the award, and then how it was awarded.

3. Yes, should be fine.

4. I wouldn't consider a lifeguard certificate as an award. If you feel it is important I would list it in one of the non-academic activities. Maybe "diversity of experiences" if you have room. Depends on what you want to highlight with it. If you included it in your work section, I don't think it would be necessary to list it as a separate experience.

Archived