Premed 101 Forums

2017 Intake - Who's Applying To Nosm?

Trad/Non-Trad: 30 years old (Traditional)

Degrees:  Bachelor of nursing (2008), Master of Nursing (2014), Nurse Practitioner (spring 2017)

GPA: 3.39 (ugh.. my 1st year of university was lousy)

Context: Born and raised in rural NL (town of 50 people). Moved away for university but then moved back to a rural community (5000) where I worked as an ER nurse for 5 years. Moved to remote fly-in community in Nunavut in 2013 and currently still reside there.

Employment/ ECs / Volunteer: Registered nurse in rural ER department and now supervising a health centre in a remote fly-in community in Nunavut. Also started and ran a part-time business in NL providing health care services to housebound individuals with poor accessibility to the health care system.

Recreation volunteer at seniors complex (playing bingo, feeding, etc) in high school,  international medical and humanitarian relief work in Belize, Mexico, and Paraguay, various committees (hospital committees, ethics committees, professional licensing committee, pharmacy/therapeutics committee, union activities to increase nurse:patient ratios), Special Olympics coach, Boys & Girls Club homework tutor, campus food bank volunteer, co-medical team lead of an Africa NGO since 2009, masters research and development of an orientation guide for health care practitioners working with an Inuit based population....

Best of luck to everyone. Second time applying and empathetic to the process and wait game!

Is there any way of checking to ensure reference letters + transcripts have been received? It freaks me out a little to think something like a mail delay, an online processing error, etc, could interfere with my entire application if one of these documents are not received by Oct 1...

Hey! I submitted my application last night, and noticed that you can still sign into OMSAS, and there's a link to check whether your references, transcript, and MCAT scores have been received. My friend was concerned about his transcript not being received by October 1st if he submits on Friday, and they told him that as long as the application is submitted by October 1st, the transcript won't be considered late since it takes a couple days for the transcript request to be processed. I hope that helps!

Hey! I submitted my application last night, and noticed that you can still sign into OMSAS, and there's a link to check whether your references, transcript, and MCAT scores have been received. My friend was concerned about his transcript not being received by October 1st if he submits on Friday, and they told him that as long as the application is submitted by October 1st, the transcript won't be considered late since it takes a couple days for the transcript request to be processed. I hope that helps!

hmm interesting.... when I log in I can only review my application and there's no link to see if anything has been received. 

hmm interesting.... when I log in I can only review my application and there's no link to see if anything has been received.

Weird! When did you submit? On mine, right when I log in, I'm taken to the "Application Complete" screen, and after the Payment Information, there's a heading that says "What Now?" There are 6 options there, and one is a link to verify receipt of the application fees, MCAT scores, references and transcripts. You don't have that on yours?

Weird! When did you submit? On mine, right when I log in, I'm taken to the "Application Complete" screen, and after the Payment Information, there's a heading that says "What Now?" There are 6 options there, and one is a link to verify receipt of the application fees, MCAT scores, references and transcripts. You don't have that on yours?

Nope... Under "What Now?" for me I only have 2 options: A link to review my application, or a link back to the OMSAS general site.

I only submitted last night. Maybe the system has to update or something once the payment is processed.

Nope... Under "What Now?" for me I only have 2 options: A link to review my application, or a link back to the OMSAS general site.

I only submitted last night. Maybe the system has to update or something once the payment is processed.

Yes, that might be it! I submitted Tuesday night, and then I when I checked yesterday afternoon, all those options were listed. I'd check today sometime!

I wouldn't worry too much about the transcripts showing as not received.  They take time sometimes to update.  Just make sure if it's one from outside of Ontario that you follow-up on it.  OMSAS sends the requests to the Ontario schools, so if you submit your application on Saturday Oct 1st, they wouldn't get the Ontario transcripts for a good week or so.

The most important is ensuring your 3 references have been completed. 

rainboots

Did you personally send in your transcript from UNBC?  All transcripts are supposed to be submitted directly from the university, and not the person applying.  Just wondering as they may not accept it.  I would follow-up with OMSAS asap confirming that it's been received, or look on the system.  I'm certain if it shows as received you are in the clear.

Archived