Premed 101 Forums

Cars Cutt-Off

Hello everyone!

I am new to the McMaster thread, so I'm not too familiar with the schools requirements.  Is there a CARS cutoff?  I read online that the minimum to apply is 123, but other schools usually select a higher cutoff based on the applicant pool.

I ask because my score is awful -_- (126) 

Much thanks!

Hey,

Yes there is a CARS cutoff, it is 123 like you said, however a higher CARS will give you a better chance of getting an interview/getting accepted post interview. They weigh your CARS using a selection formula which they are pretty upfront about.

The formulas are as follows:

• Pre-interview
    • 32% Undergraduate Grade Point Average
    • 32% MCAT Verbal Reasoning OR Critical Analysis and Reasoning Score
    • 32% CASPer Score
    • 4% Graduate degree bonus (1% Master's/4% PhD)
  • Post-Interview
    • 70% Multiple Mini Interview Score
    • 15% Undergraduate Grade Point Average
    • 15% MCAT Verbal Reasoning OR Critical Analysis and Reasoning Score

So, the higher your CARS the better looking application you will look like you have. If you have a high GPA and do well on CASPER, you can definitely get an interview. If you ace your interview you can get in.

Take a look at the previous Interview Stats and Acceptance Stats threads. It can give you an idea of what other people had with regards to stats and how some overcome low CARS scores.

Unfortunately, most people have a higher score than 126, but like I said, if you can increase your score through the other parts of the formula you have a chance.

Hey guys, just need an opinion on my chances. My cgpa is a 3.77 and my CARS score is a 128, if I performed well on Casper would i still have a decent shot at an interview. The thing that has me concerned is that Casper has the most vague scoring criteria of the 3, and I really won't know what "doing well" will be on the Casper. 

Hey guys, just need an opinion on my chances. My cgpa is a 3.77 and my CARS score is a 128, if I performed well on Casper would i still have a decent shot at an interview. The thing that has me concerned is that Casper has the most vague scoring criteria of the 3, and I really won't know what "doing well" will be on the Casper. 

Your stats are exactly the same as mine (128 = ~11VR right?) and I got in.

No idea how they score the CASPER though. I thought I did absolutely horribly and still got an interview.

Your stats are exactly the same as mine (128 = ~11VR right?) and I got in.

No idea how they score the CASPER though. I thought I did absolutely horribly and still got an interview.

That's actually really relieving to hear ! Hopefully I can "ace" the casper then ! 

Definitely apply to Mac. I had a 3.73 gpa and 129 CARS and got interview and ultimately waitlisted (which I took myself off after getting into another ON med school). So, I really think you have a chance if you can do well on CASPer. Good luck!

• 2 months later...

Hey,

Yes there is a CARS cutoff, it is 123 like you said, however a higher CARS will give you a better chance of getting an interview/getting accepted post interview. They weigh your CARS using a selection formula which they are pretty upfront about.

• Pre-interview
    • 32% CASPer Score
  • Post-Interview

So, the higher your CARS the better looking application you will look like you have. If you have a high GPA and do well on CASPER, you can definitely get an interview. If you ace your interview you can get in.

Take a look at the previous Interview Stats and Acceptance Stats threads. It can give you an idea of what other people had with regards to stats and how some overcome low CARS scores.

Unfortunately, most people have a higher score than 126, but like I said, if you can increase your score through the other parts of the formula you have a chance.

So do reference letters and ECs not play a role in selection then??

Hey,

• Pre-interview
    • 32% CASPer Score
  • Post-Interview

Where did you find these formulas?

• 3 weeks later...

Archived