Premed 101 Forums

Hi everyone,

I was thinking about transferring into UWO health sci program from another university. I was wondering if any current students or graduates from the program could provide feedback on the program. Whether that be about the difficulty of the program, how subjective the courses tended to be, etc.

Thank you in advance! Your help is really appreciated as I'm trying to decide whether or not I should transfer!

Not a health sci, but I know many people in the program and have taken many of their courses.

Very interesting, in first year you learn bio as well as social health issues in Canada. Easier than medical science; if you can memorize, first and second year will be a breeze. (info from friends)

It is an amazing degree choice, I'm coming back for a 5th year in September. The courses are easy once you understand how health sciences courses are structured and tested (you have second year to learn). Quite a few have project components, which are great mark boosters. I'd say getting 90+ is tough in the majority of courses vs. science courses, which I feel are more content/memorization based with very little non-MC exam grade components. You can definitely expect 80+ in every course in 3rd/4th year, and a handful of 85+, so even if you don't earn 90s you can take some easy electives for a ~3.8 GPA for the year. With science I can't comment on how well one can do and what streams are a good choice, I feel that if you can memorize you'll do fine, but of course I wouldn't know. I didn't take my Biomed offer at UWO (med-sci now) because my friend at the time who was in health sciences (now in Queen's med) really hit home with what the degree offered.

I feel that once I land an interview at a med school, I will say exactly what they want to hear because that's what my degree has taught me: emphasis on holistic medicine, healthcare governance/structure, health promotion/prevention/intervention, mental health, etc. Though the sciences will definitely help prepare you for medical school, health science (the specific stream is health studies under the Faculty of Health Sciences @ UWO) still covers some relevant pre-med topics and can probably still be classified as a pre-med degree. Even if it doesn't touch on typical science courses useful/relevant for medicine, you can always learn in medical school (if you have the GPA to get in and MCAT score, then you have the work ethic anyway). This degree covers what medical schools emphasis as being the future of medicine. Also, if medical school doesn't work out there are so many other health occupations open to you (as some health science module courses are pre-reqs for professional programs). The degree is very unique and valuable, hope this helped.

Thanks for the great feedback duster123!

The courses are easy once you understand how health sciences courses are structured and tested (you have second year to learn). 

What do you mean by that? For example, are the tests mostly memorization based? Also, are they mostly MC?

What do you mean by that? For example, are the tests mostly memorization based? Also, are they mostly MC?

First year you will take Health Sciences 1001 and Health Sciences 1002, both are very easy, boiling down to just memorize-and-regurgitate. Exams for both were straight MC, though 1002 had 2 writing pieces it wasn't difficult to do well as long as you put a reasonable amount of time into it (all of my friends received grades in the 80's doing the papers the night before). 

The class average for 1001 was 69, while 1002 was 64. Im speaking for this past year. These averages have stood in previous years, but don't let them sway you in another direction, the courses are really straightforward.

For second year, I heard from my first year professor that HS courses follow the same MC format as the class sizes will still be quite large. I have heard very little about group work, but from what I do understand, they're nothing to be afraid of.

All in all, you'll get what you put in. Health Sciences seems to be a popular transfer option for York students atm, not sure why but there has to be some positives right  :P

Yes, they are all typically memory based with some content-based application from lecture (rarely from readings I found). Also, though senior courses (3rd/4th year) differ, some are quite similar and overlap. I would strongly advise you to choose courses based on the professor (as when it comes to grading some are just easier than others, a significant difference in my opinion), overlapping or easy content (can be an area you find interesting), work with friends (better grades on projects). As well, written assignments aren't marked very hard, so that be an advantage is that's not your forte. Lastly, I agree with the post above, 1st and even 2nd year have low course averages, but don't let this discourage you. After 2nd year everyone is much more lax, until then just work hard. Hope this helps!

Also, just to clarify, group projects become weighed more heavily and are more prevalent after second year. In second year, courses (6/10 courses) will be module courses (meaning that they are mandatory health science courses). These courses are basically MC exam-based.

Archived