Premed 101 Forums

Chance For Me?

GHouse

Hey all,

So here is the situation, I entering into the 3rd year of my undergrad degree, my UofT cGPA is 3.69 - Omsas- not eligible for weighting this year.

Some of my non academics include:

- 10 000 greenest school award for my high school as president of the Environment Council

- TA for online course in intro psych with 10k plus students of all ages

- Psych Award

- Research Scholarship for $1500

- Campus First Responder, President and Founder of a council, senior exec on greater than 5 councils

- Editor in chief of campus science magazine

- Overseas volunteering

- Public relations volunteer and research student for two Non Profit Organizations run by doctors in the global health field

- Currently editing a manuscript for publication on the Effects of Volunteer Medical Trips Abroad

- Numerous research experiences as well as lab management 

- Tutor, Exam Invigilator

- Volunteer experiences with MSF, CBCF and MS Society totalling 6 years (2 years each)

- High School Youth Volunteer Organization founder - upwards of 30 students placed in various retirement homes 

and other typical university extracurricular involvement

Next year I am eligible for WGPA that will increase my grade point to around 3.88-3.91

Right now I'm trying to decide if my non academics and maybe my personal essays can make up for my lower GPA this year or is it not worth applying??

Thoughts?

Hey all,

So here is the situation, I entering into the 3rd year of my undergrad degree, my UofT cGPA is 3.69 - Omsas- not eligible for weighting this year.

Some of my non academics include:

- 10 000 greenest school award for my high school as president of the Environment Council

- TA for online course in intro psych with 10k plus students of all ages

- Psych Award

- Research Scholarship for $1500

- Campus First Responder, President and Founder of a council, senior exec on greater than 5 councils

- Editor in chief of campus science magazine

- Overseas volunteering

- Public relations volunteer and research student for two Non Profit Organizations run by doctors in the global health field

- Currently editing a manuscript for publication on the Effects of Volunteer Medical Trips Abroad

- Numerous research experiences as well as lab management 

- Tutor, Exam Invigilator

- Volunteer experiences with MSF, CBCF and MS Society totalling 6 years (2 years each)

- High School Youth Volunteer Organization founder - upwards of 30 students placed in various retirement homes 

and other typical university extracurricular involvement

Next year I am eligible for WGPA that will increase my grade point to around 3.88-3.91

Right now I'm trying to decide if my non academics and maybe my personal essays can make up for my lower GPA this year or is it not worth applying??

Thoughts?

They won't get to those things, because the screening for non-grad students has been 3.8 for a few years now. Just apply next year. 

My advice to you is to drop some of your ECs next year and ensure you get a 3.9+ GPA. It really is the first and foremost important thing. The rest doesn't matter if they never see it

@sunny_

Than you! I definitely agree and will be focusing 100% on academics next year, i was under the impression that once the GPA minimum is met (3.6) that you undergo a full file review but am i just mistaken and that happens pending a 3.8 WGPA?

Many thanks

The minimum GPA's on the website are kind of a lie. If you watch the video they used to have somewhere on their site they say explicitly that a 3.8 was needed for actual file scoring. 

Regardless, I really dont' mean to discourage but there isn't really a reason to apply to UofT with a 3.7 GPA as a non-grad applicant. I'm guessing you'll still try, but it's just not realistic to expect an interview. I know-I didn't apply in third year because my GPA would have been 3.8ish, which is not at all enough for an undergrad applicant. Even a 3.9 requires really good 'compensation' by non-academics/essays for Toronto, because you're trying to outscore hundreds of 3.95+ files

Archived