Premed 101 Forums

Research Opportunities For High School Students

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to know what's the best way to start volunteering in a science research lab while still in high school. Where and how should I START? That's the biggest problem for me. Are there opportunities for internships for high school students?

Any response would be highly appreciated!!!

Thank You!

Don't bother, enough university students have a hard enough time finding a research position. If you manage to find someone kind enough to take a high school student they'll be making you wash dishes and not doing an actual project.

This is a side note, but I can't believe high school students are looking for research positions. Too many people jump onto any sort of research so they can get a head start on their resumes but honestly just wait until you're at a point in your education where you know how to do lab work and where someone will actually trust you enough to carry out a project.

• 2 weeks later...

Don't bother, enough university students have a hard enough time finding a research position. If you manage to find someone kind enough to take a high school student they'll be making you wash dishes and not doing an actual project.

This is a side note, but I can't believe high school students are looking for research positions. Too many people jump onto any sort of research so they can get a head start on their resumes but honestly just wait until you're at a point in your education where you know how to do lab work and where someone will actually trust you enough to carry out a project.

Nonsense. I've had 2 HS students over the last 2 summers. Last summer the grade 12 student ended up as an author on a now published paper, the grade 11 student got an acknowledgement. This summer, the grade 11 student (now finished grade 12) is an author on a review and will be an author on a paper which will be published in a year or 2 once the clinical trial is done. Not only that but both students got paid for their positions via a university sponsored summer research internship.

As for undergrads, one of my 3rd years has 2 papers. All 3 of the second years will have their name on a publication and one will be first author of his project. 

The problem you're identifying is one at huge universities with lots of students. Go to a smaller university and there are plenty of opportunities for research. It's fun to thumb noses (I used to do it too) at Last Chance U, but UG's get far more research time and, I'd bet, a greater proportion get into professional schools because of their higher research productivity. 

I did start immersing myself into research during high school. It starts by contacting my high school science teachers and going to do 3 day (exposure) courses in research labs. Do google for these kind of information. 

But, I only get to do proper research as a first year undergraduate. Good luck finding one!

• 2 weeks later...

Im currently in high school and I work at one of the biggest research facilities in Toronto. The key is to accept rejection because I emailed maybe 15-20 PIs and one of them just so happened to need someone to help her with logistic work. Having worked previously at an affiliated hospital (diagnostic lab) through high school co-op, I had some experience. 

Fast forward three weeks, Ive been promised by the co-investigator to be put down as a co-author and references and a spot every summer after. 

@Medhopefulatubc, don't be afraid to take risks. There are plenty of established programs for high school students. McMaster/Hamilton Health, York UNiversity, Mt. Sinai, etc, etc, etc. One last thing, if youre there to fill your resume, this is not a good way to go. You work long hours and are given immense responsibilities. You should be here to learn new skills and meet new people and enjoy this experience. There's a ton of amazing people that you can learn a thing of two from on top of wet lab/dry lab skills and medical statistical analysis etc. 

Anyways, dont give up. Don't be afraid of rejection. 

• 2 months later...

Archived