Premed 101 Forums

Obgyn (Residency And Job Outlook) Or Family Medicine With Obstetrics

MedMama

Hello,

I am interested in pursuing OBGYN or family medicine with a focus on obstetrics. I am curious about the job outlook for OBGYN and also whether doing OB as a family doctor would be feasible or not. Also, are the residencies for OBGYN in Canada competitive? Thanks in advance.

Job outlook in OBGYN isn't great, but could be a lot worse. Academic jobs seem to be pretty scarce, but community positions still seem to be available in a number of locations. Residencies in OBGYN are moderately competitive, you do need to apply broadly and put in the effort to match.

Basic obstetrics can be done as an FM doc. There are even programs available after completing residency to do an extra 6 months or 1 year in Women's Health, including obstetrics, though these aren't strictly speaking necessary to do FM obstetrics. Most FM docs don't do obstetrics though - it basically means being on-call 24/7 when you have a patient ready to deliver. It can really complicate your schedule as an FM doc. Almost every FM doc will do some prenatal work though and gynecology problems are pretty common in FM clinics as well.

Hi there MedMama,

For competitiveness, just look at the McGill stats. A few years ago, there were 13 residency spots for OBGYN! 13! Then it went down to 8 spots. Then, 3 spots!

So let's assume McGill receives 80 applications at CaRMS and they will interview 40 applicants - for 3 spaces! Every one of these 30 is qualified. So, you tell me if it is competitive. 

I can only speak for AB and BC, but FM obstetrics is quite popular. By far most GPs who do obs are part of a call group so you're not actually on 24/7. Some still choose this but it's no longer the norm. 

Most of the family docs I know who deliver babies did not do any extra training after residency. 

I can only speak for AB and BC, but FM obstetrics is quite popular. By far most GPs who do obs are part of a call group so you're not actually on 24/7. Some still choose this but it's no longer the norm. 

Most of the family docs I know who deliver babies did not do any extra training after residency. 

Great! Thanks for the information.

Archived