Premed 101 Forums

Is 3 Weeks Enough Time To Prepare For The Cars Section Of The Mcat?

I've decided that I want to take a shot at McMaster when I am done my third year of undergrad, so I plan to write just the CARS section of the MCAT. Currently going over review questions on Khan Academy, and will be picking up some more review material soon. I am just wondering if you guys think 3 weeks is enough time to prepare for the CARS section. Thanks. 

I've decided that I want to take a shot at McMaster when I am done my third year of undergrad, so I plan to write just the CARS section of the MCAT. Currently going over review questions on Khan Academy, and will be picking up some more review material soon. I am just wondering if you guys think 3 weeks is enough time to prepare for the CARS section. Thanks. 

I would say atleast 4 weeks.

Complete a full length scored CARS section and see where your score falls first. Some people don't need much time to practice because they are already close to their goal and others need time to bring up their score.

Will do. Do you recommend any specific source to get them or does it really matter which one I choose? Do you know of any which are free by any chance? 

Will do. Do you recommend any specific source to get them or does it really matter which one I choose? Do you know of any which are free by any chance?

Personally I found the AAMC material the best preparation and 100% worthwhile. I would not trust free material to reflect real mcat questions. My prep was exam krackers and I bought 5 AAMC tests, did quite well.

Yea as a previous poster said, the bought resources are usually the best with the AAMC tests I found being the most similar to what I saw on test day (although I did take the previous MCAT so I was dealing with resources for VR, not CARS). I'm not sure if the prep companies are still doing this but when I took a prep course they gave us access to a whole bunch of Kaplan-made timed VR sections you could work through as well. I'm sure if you want some material you can look at those companies (TPR, Kaplan etc.) and see if you can buy a block of CARS practice sections to work on. I found Kaplan's were harder than the actual AAMC ones which helped me out when I actually wrote my test. 

In order to get the most out of your materials try to complete your sections and work through why you got questions wrong and try to understand why correct answers were better than what you chose. With a bit of time/intense practice you will start to see the correct answers more when going through passages as long as you take time after each one to look at your incorrect answers and understand why they were wrong. 

Archived