Premed 101 Forums

What Are Some Of The More Difficult Questions You Have Been Asked?

And "difficult' can also be relative.  During my UWO interview they started off with what in retrospect was a soft-ball question meant to put me at ease.  Totally didn't expect that particular question, gave a terrible answer and probably appeared nervous as all heck.  Guess I must have done ok on the interview overall but sure wasn't an auspicious start.

• 2 weeks later...

I think the most difficult question that came up in my interviews was actually the most common one that people would think of. It was just difficult because there were a lot of thoughts floating around in my head, and honestly I didn't have a clear picture to the answer (and still kind of don't). I guess my advice would be to do a lot of introspection before even applying and before the interview and sort those things out. And yes this was intentionally vague because of conflidentimality ahreenemts.

Here are 4 hypothetical ones for you: 

1)The ON government has proposed that due to budget constraints, there's a hard ceiling on the physician budget. If physicians work too much and overbill the ceiling, that amount will clawed back next year.

Discuss the ethical, social, economic and political ramifications of this proposal.

2) The ON government has proposed all family doctors should work under a government agency called sub-LHIN, which has ultimate decision in which patient gets allocated to which doctor, how much work each doctor is assigned, how much they are paid, and where existing doctors can work, and where new graduate doctors can find jobs

Discuss the ethical, social, economic and political ramifications of this proposal.

3) Bob Rae, as leader of Ontario NDP, once came up with the idea of a so called "Rae Day", whereby public sector workers, including doctors, work for free on some days a year to save government money.

4) A previous ON government, in an effort to constraint the budget, set a hard cap on individual doctor's billings. In other words, hypothetically if a doctor works too much and bills above his/her ceiling, he/she wouldn't get paid for the extra work.

You have my deepest respect if you can eloquently answer those above in a balanced fashion.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived