Premed 101 Forums

Only Taking Cars For Mac

MEDNUT97

Sure, but for some it is quite logical - that school is the best or realistically only shot for them. Plus in theory at least if you are only doing the CARS section you probably will be both better prepared for it and not fatigued in any fashion from the other sections (the mcat certainly has an endurance component to it).

Sure, but for some it is quite logical - that school is the best or realistically only shot for them. Plus in theory at least if you are only doing the CARS section you probably will be both better prepared for it and not fatigued in any fashion from the other sections (the mcat certainly has an endurance component to it).

I agree with this.

Also if you ever apply to the states, it might look bad having written the MCAT and having a score of 1 (or the new equivalent) on all other sections. From my understanding, schools in the US usually look at all your writes, and evaluate the MCAT holistically.

But if you have no plans to ever go to the states, you're fine. 

I wrote only CARS in June and I noticed it's becoming more common. I did it because Mac was my only option (no science background) and it seemed most logical to me (as rmorelan pointed out). It didn't seem that odd to the people at the test centre either when I told them I will be leaving in the first 1.5 hours. The only problem is that it's very difficult to improve on something like CARS - most people are either great at it (easy 130+) or not (stuck around 124-126). Practice certainly helps but if you're not a natural, you will plateau around 126. And although you don't have to worry about fatigue from the first section, it really doesn't help. CARS is all about your natural reading comprehension ability and due to the limited timing, you go mostly with your gut/first instinct (forget any strategies you learned).

Anyhow, I was in the same boat as you but did not get the score that I needed (But I will keep trying again and again). Good luck!

Archived