Premed 101 Forums

Im Surprised Nobody Has Posted About This...

I'm assuming most people have heard of this by now, but here's a link to one of the stories. Its essentially saying that flossing may not prevent cavities or periodontal diseases. Or that theres unreliable evidence of it. Curious as to what you guys think? I also didn't' come across anything about the possible lack of flossing and heart disease correlation in any of these particles. Which, if that is truly a possible result of not flossing, then it should have been mentioned in these news articles and the research too, instead of inadvertently telling everyone it's okay that they haven't been flossing. Its kind of concerning. 

http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/dental-floss-1.3703798

I guess a bunch of news outlets were looking for justification of their poor hygiene. The study only really concludes that the quality of research is poor, not that people should stop flossing. When you floss you can clearly see plaque and bits of food, it can't be good for you to leave that in between your teeth.

The most likely explanation is the small sample size of the study and the uncontrolled format of it. Most people I know who floss (and they aren't many) do so incorrectly. Obviously flossing has benefits, at the very least removing rotting food from between your teeth! I told my friends (the ones I keep nagging to floss) who tried to show me up with these articles that brushing without flossing is like wiping the cheeks and skipping the crack. Worked on one of them (I might keep that for my teenage patients haha).

The most likely explanation is the small sample size of the study and the uncontrolled format of it. Most people I know who floss (and they aren't many) do so incorrectly. Obviously flossing has benefits, at the very least removing rotting food from between your teeth! I told my friends (the ones I keep nagging to floss) who tried to show me up with these articles that brushing without flossing is like wiping the cheeks and skipping the crack. Worked on one of them (I might keep that for my teenage patients haha).

:P  :P  :P  :P  :P

worked on my patients as well :P

I got them to start flossing by telling them that