Premed 101 Forums

Lying In Application Cycle

With every application I completed (a few in Canada and AMCAS) each activity requires a verifier. 

Schools will contact verifiers some of the time.

What's stopping you from putting in a friend for a verifier, and having them make up the connection? Hopefully your moral compass and the honour system. I am sure people embellish and lie on their application all the time. It's really unfortunate. 

I think it's easier to be honest. If you somehow got caught in a lie, I imagine you would be red flagged and probably not allowed to apply to that school again. 

With every application I completed (a few in Canada and AMCAS) each activity requires a verifier. 

What's stopping you from putting in a friend for a verifier, and having them make up the connection? Hopefully your moral compass and the honour system. I am sure people embellish and lie on their application all the time. It's really unfortunate. 

I think it's easier to be honest. If you somehow got caught in a lie, I imagine you would be red flagged and probably not allowed to apply to that school again. 

If somehow caught, they could always revoke your medical degree at any point. 

or any other school - the schools do talk to each other after all. that is exactly the sort of thing that "gets around"

I'm not saying go ahead and do so but what is stopping someone from lying in their application? Anyone can say they played hockey for 5 years etc etc...your thoughts? this goes for all programs..

*btw, I'm not eligible to apply in any program this year so don't get any ideas

well there are verifiers, it can come up at the interview and you can be quizzed, and if it is an important EC efforts can be made to verify it specifically,

plus schools are quite aware there is temptation to stretch shall we say the truth. That factors into evaluation process. 

I know for CARMS by the way (because residents are involved in that) that we check everything we can. I talk to people, do web searches, call people I know at the target school.... if I cannot verify it is true that factors in.