Premed 101 Forums

Provincial Residency

Hi all, 

I am a resident of Quebec and starting at Mac in the fall. Is there anything I need to do once I move to Ontario in terms of provincial residency, like changing my medicare card, driver's license, license plate, etc...? Or do I keep my residency status in Quebec. I'm sure I'll be back in Quebec at least once every 183 days, so I'm not worried about that rule, but I was wondering if there were any benefits to changing aka OSAP.

The car insurance in both provinces is different. Liability is greater in Ontario and therefore, I believe the cost is higher. I also recall that you are limited to driving the car outside of Quebec to x days. For the sake of your own protection and so that you know your coverage is valid, if I were you, I would licence and insure the car in Ontario and also obtain an Ontario driver's licence. In the alternative, should you have an accident in Ontario, you may find your insurer in Quebec denying liability totally.

It would make sense, to me at least, to transfer to OHIP and to file income tax returns as an Ontario resident, not as a resident of Quebec, commencing with the 2017 taxation year. For 2016, in April 2017 I would file as a Quebec resident for the last time.  

Archived