Premed 101 Forums

Question About High Performance In An Area Of Human Endeavour

At first glance from what you've said I would say it doesn't belong but I don't know much about karate. I think if you're one of the best competitors in your division for whichever province/state you live in then it would definitely be able to be included, as that is one of the parameters listed by UBC. Otherwise I wouldn't personally list it in the high performance category.

I see high performance as "in this specific field, are you the top 1%?" For sports "Did you play in a semi-pro league or compete in the Olympics."

I don't think a black belt hits that. If you participated in international competitions probably.

You don't need to put anything in there. Plenty of people don't and get in. People who do put it in don't always get in. Just be genuine.

I'm looking for similar advice. Does it count as a high performance activity if I was involved in a team? For example going to provincials for high school basketball and then placing a rank?

I don't think that belongs in this category either. Not sure how it is now but it used to be that if you qualified for basketball provincials then your team  was automatically given a rank haha. If you were MVP or first-team all star then I'd say you can include that, but I truly think placing a rank at provincials in a team sport is too common to be included in this category. Even if your team won the championship I wouldn't include it. The benchmark for this category is being the best at what you do at a provincial level or above. You can be a member of a high school basketball team that won provincials, and yes your team was recognized at a provincial level, but that doesn't mean that any said member of that team is the best at that sport in the entire province. I think it's more if you're a member of Team Canada or Team BC. Or if you have been scouted and are ranked by a well known recruiting company as in the top members of that draft class. Then that way you are definitively considered as performing at a high level.

One of the high school basketball teams I was on placed 4th one year at provincials and there's no way I'd consider it to be suitable for this category. Being a member of a team can be placed in one of the other categories like diversity though.

I dont see a problem with putting your black belt or the basketball championship in high performance - its meant to be a high achievement section - id say those are high achievements..ive rock climbed many years and i put climbing expert in there and it worked out fof me..i think you may be overthinking it a bit.

At a UBC Medicine information session a while back, the host explained that the "High Performance" section was mainly a place for applicants to highlight a certain activity of high achievement that has resulted in a significant and extreme amount of time commitment. My impression was that this section was only created for a minority of applicants, a section designed to give more weight to somebody that has poured a more extreme amount of time and dedication into a single activity, probably to the detriment of others. The classic example of this would be applicants that have competed in the Olympics/World Finals in the past (they're out there!).

That being said, they mentioned that they were understanding about how ambiguous some of these sections are. It sounded like they will move activities into different categories if they feel like the applicant has misclassified them. If you feel, deep down, like your experience is best described as "High Performance", I would put it down. If you're just trying to rationalize putting it in because you are scared to leave the section blank, I wouldn't worry about it.

Archived