Premed 101 Forums

Best Resource For Pat?

Hey,

What is the best study/practice resource for the perceptual ability test? I'm looking for the hardest practice tests (but still representative of the actual DAT) and the best price.

I've considered these:

-Crack DAT PAT (not sure which package is better value... Are the tutorial videos in the Royal Flush edition worth it?)

-DATGenius (apparently the practice tests are harder than the actual DAT?)

-DATBootcamp (I've heard a lot of good things about this one, but I recently read somewhere that it is good for the american DAT but completely useless for the canadian one)

Let me know what you think :)

Bootcamp is fine for angles but it's useless for keyhole... I mean, it is a beautiful keyhole resource but it's not representative of what you'll see and experience when you sit down to write the PAT. Bootcamp is still a nice tool. But you'll be shocked at how the keyhole aspect just doesn't cut it. In my opinion.

What I found to be the best and most like the actual exam: IQ publications and The cDAT manual they send you.

Any questions feel free to PM me

I used crack the DAT Royal edition and the only module I'd recommend is the PAT. I didn't watch any videos, only did the practice tests and I'd say they were on par with the actual DAT difficulty wise. Practicing for the angles is nearly impossible, I left that part till the end during the actual test. In the end I scored in the 94th percentile

None of the resources are representative for the cDAT... but if you do well on those resources you can't do poorly on the cDAT is my opinion. Make sure you really hone your rock keyholes because I didn't realize they even existed and they were a good 1/3 of the keyhole section.

I used both DAT bootcamp and genius and did fairly well. DAT bootcamp is good for all but the keyholes which is significantly more challenging on the real thing.

Which one would you say is the more challenging one out of the two?

• 3 weeks later...

Hey,

What is the best study/practice resource for the perceptual ability test? I'm looking for the hardest practice tests (but still representative of the actual DAT) and the best price.

I've considered these:

-Crack DAT PAT (not sure which package is better value... Are the tutorial videos in the Royal Flush edition worth it?)

-DATGenius (apparently the practice tests are harder than the actual DAT?)

-DATBootcamp (I've heard a lot of good things about this one, but I recently read somewhere that it is good for the american DAT but completely useless for the canadian one)

Let me know what you think :)

CracktheDAT was awful for the reading section and was okay for the PAT but honestly not worth it in my opinion since it's not representative of the Canadian DAT (they do not have rock keyholes). And DATBootcamp is overrated by Americans, it's a good resource for the American DAT but not for the Canadian DAT. It was especially terrible for the keyholes (not representative of the Canadian DAT at all) and their other sections of the PAT were okay. Best resource is probably the CDA manual and even that is outdated now :(.

Are you just having difficult knowing how to approach the questions?  They always show 2 of 3 possible perspectives in the left corner. Your task is to imagine an object in the missing perspective, either T, F or E. So if they show you Top and Front, you'll need to imagine what the end looks like. its easiest to imagine the object from the top first. Think of it as though you're looking down at it by standing above it. Next, imagine you maintain your position, but that you crouch down on the ground and look at it from the prospective that your legs or your feet would have. Thats the Front end. You would then take a step to your right, move around the object and crouch again, looking at the same level that you were looking at from the front, but you're now looking at the side of the object (the end view). The dotted lines represent lines, holes or shapes which are relevant to the object as a whole, but that are below or behind the plane you're currently viewing. So like if you imagine looking at the end (side) view of a sofa, you'd have dotted lines appearing on the seat, which you wouldn't actually be able to see, but you would need to know that that plane is there behind the arm, which is preventing you from seeing the seat. Keeping the sofa analogy, the part where your legs (your calves) would touch the couch, thats the front end. And looking down at the seat is obviously the top view.

Not sure if thats the help you're looking for. Feel free to PM me with any questions. 

Also, I would recommend the cDAT manual for help, if you're writing the Canadian DAT. That and IQ Publications manuals. I found they most closely resembled the actual test. 

Also, I would recommend the cDAT manual for help, if you're writing the Canadian DAT. That and IQ Publications manuals. I found they most closely resembled the actual test. 

My experience is admittedly from like 7 years ago but I found IQPubs to be downright awful. A lot of blatantly wrong answers. I received a top 50 in Canada score on the PAT (top 50 testwriters, at a 99th or 100th percentile, can't remember) so I don't think I lost out by not going with IQPubs; I legitimately threw it away shortly after buying it.

datcrusher.ca was created on: 2016/08/07 according to whois.

There is no possibility that someone has used this website and taken the canadian DAT... How can you know if a resource is good until you have taken the DAT, received your score, and compared the resource to the actual DAT? 

sorry but i find datcrusher a little shady.

Solid catch. thats a very good point! i guess only time will tell with that. they seem to be a new player in the scene. I did just do one of their practice exams though and i have to say, it was good. The solutions impressed me a lot and the questions themselves seem to be very high quality. will be interesting to see what people say about it after the November DAT. price is very good too, im guessing since they so new they have to offer low prices to gain reputation. 

Solid catch. thats a very good point! i guess only time will tell with that. they seem to be a new player in the scene. I did just do one of their practice exams though and i have to say, it was good. The solutions impressed me a lot and the questions themselves seem to be very high quality. will be interesting to see what people say about it after the November DAT. price is very good too, im guessing since they so new they have to offer low prices to gain reputation. 

Reputation, you say! Given that you (S.B., class of 2019) is involved with Datcrusher I'd be pretty wary of your posts and your 3 accounts (!) as well.

I've banned one of your other accounts since that's explicitly against forum rules.

Tread lightly, folks.

Are you just having difficult knowing how to approach the questions?  They always show 2 of 3 possible perspectives in the left corner. Your task is to imagine an object in the missing perspective, either T, F or E. So if they show you Top and Front, you'll need to imagine what the end looks like. its easiest to imagine the object from the top first. Think of it as though you're looking down at it by standing above it. Next, imagine you maintain your position, but that you crouch down on the ground and look at it from the prospective that your legs or your feet would have. Thats the Front end. You would then take a step to your right, move around the object and crouch again, looking at the same level that you were looking at from the front, but you're now looking at the side of the object (the end view). The dotted lines represent lines, holes or shapes which are relevant to the object as a whole, but that are below or behind the plane you're currently viewing. So like if you imagine looking at the end (side) view of a sofa, you'd have dotted lines appearing on the seat, which you wouldn't actually be able to see, but you would need to know that that plane is there behind the arm, which is preventing you from seeing the seat. Keeping the sofa analogy, the part where your legs (your calves) would touch the couch, thats the front end. And looking down at the seat is obviously the top view.

Not sure if thats the help you're looking for. Feel free to PM me with any questions. 

Thanks for that answer! In a way it is what I'm looking for but how do you approach these questions? Me, I try to mentally put the  2 sides that are given together and try to picture what it is as a whole (for example, circle on top of square base) and then find what the third side would be...doesn't work that well...any ideas? 

I just checked it out and it looks like it's one of the only resources with rock keyholes. The price for the entire package also does not seem bad but you're right I haven't heard enough about it to warrant a purchase.

Crackdat PAT, DATGenius, DATbootcamp, Q Vault, etc. I'm sure there are more, but those are the top ones from what I've seen online.

Crackdat PAT, DATGenius, DATbootcamp, Q Vault, etc. I'm sure there are more, but those are the top ones from what I've seen online.

I'm a couple of tests into CDP and I don't think it has the "rock" keyholes people are talking about. Unless I'm mistaken and I've been doing them this entire time.

From what I remember, this is pretty close to the level of complexity you can expect from the boulder/rock keyhole questions on the cDAT. There were I think 4-5 of them at the end of the keyhole section. I've had a hard time finding anything in actual DAT tests that look like the boulders, so I just googled 'asteroid wire frame' and this is what I found. Again, this is NOT from the exam, but I think it looks a little bit like the shapes you might see. http://infocenter.arm.com/help/topic/com.arm.doc.dui0555c/graphics/wireframe_asteroids_with_levels_of_detail.png

Thanks for that answer! In a way it is what I'm looking for but how do you approach these questions? Me, I try to mentally put the  2 sides that are given together and try to picture what it is as a whole (for example, circle on top of square base) and then find what the third side would be...doesn't work that well...any ideas? 

I would say look at one of the perspectives that they give you, try your best to understand it before looking at another perspective and imagine in your mind what you might be able to expect when looking at the next perspective. Then, look at the second one, cross reference them a couple times, making sure you have a good idea of what the object really looks like. Pay close attention to width of structures, dotted lines, and dimensions all around. They'll often try to trick you with an option that is a mirror image of the correct one or something like that, or thats missing a plane or detail. 

I would say look at one of the perspectives that they give you, try your best to understand it before looking at another perspective and imagine in your mind what you might be able to expect when looking at the next perspective. Then, look at the second one, cross reference them a couple times, making sure you have a good idea of what the object really looks like. Pay close attention to width of structures, dotted lines, and dimensions all around. They'll often try to trick you with an option that is a mirror image of the correct one or something like that, or thats missing a plane or detail. 

Thanks a lot! 

IQ publications is crap? I used that, crack dat pat, and Barron's for the PAT and they worked fine. I mean I could spot the mistakes but I thought they were decent resources. Barron's even had sections where you did these exercises related to the PAT (like drawing 3 perspectives of an object) that helped.

And I bought the cheapest option of crack dat pat (the one with 4-5 pat tests) and it was fine too.

I guess just use a couple different resources so you have enough questions to do. Practice the hell out of it and you should be good to go.

Archived