Premed 101 Forums

Volunteering And Shadowing

Hi all,

I would like to know how much weight the adcom puts on clinical volunteering in hospitals and physician shadowing at McGill. It seems like for the US schools, it's almost mandatory, but almost unheard of (especially shadowing) for the French schools here.

Obviously, I'm not looking for exact answers, just personal anecdotes that past applicants can tell me about.

Thanks.

Hi all,

I would like to know how much weight the adcom puts on clinical volunteering in hospitals and physician shadowing at McGill. It seems like for the US schools, it's almost mandatory, but almost unheard of (especially shadowing) for the French schools here.

Obviously, I'm not looking for exact answers, just personal anecdotes that past applicants can tell me about.

Thanks.

It is extremely difficult to get shadowing experience unless you have connections (ie. you have doctors in your family).

You can volunteer at a hospital and try to get placed in one of the departments, but they will more than likely ask you to be a useless "greeter" (human GPS) and I think that has absolutely no value on the CV.

Hi all,

Thanks.

Shadowing is very important, you'll be training for at least 6 years (if you choose FM). You at least need to know what to expect. 

Even though it's "only" 20% for the CVPN, medicine's so competitive that you'll want to have as strong of a CVPN as possible. I don't think shadowing is something you absolutely have to do for your application, but at least have other experiences where you learned about the healthcare system and ones that relate to the CanMEDs roles.

I found shadowing taught me a great deal regarding the profession (although I shadowed PTs and OTs, which is easier to do than shadow physicians), especially if you shadow for a long period of time. As Nietzsche_hammer said, you want to know what to expect.