Premed 101 Forums

Advice For Oop

Hey everyone,

I am an ON resident and thinking of applying to UBC. However need some help here please read

GPA: ~90-91% (19 A+, 6 A, 9 A-) therefore 3077/34 = ~90-91% so I think I did this correctly :$

MCAT: 510 (128 all but CARS, 126)

I have above average ECs, been at the same institution for 6 years (finishing up MSc), long term and many commitments related to what I am passionate about.

However this decision comes down to:

1. Am I competitive here? Not sure if my GPA is good enough

2. I would have to spend $1300 to take a full year English

Any advice is appreciated!

Cheers!

Assuming you are competitive (I have no expertise here), the $1,300 should not be a factor in deciding. Notwithstanding the hit, it is pennies over the span of a lifetime career. 

I agree with you here. I am willing to pay that money if I have a shot (albeit hopefully its a decent one considering my GPA, but I don't know too much about AQ scores with UBC).

I pay for my own education (as I am sure many others do here), but this is just the types of decisions I have to make since I work for every dollar I make. Don't mean to be offensive or anything to those that do or do not pay for their education, this is just the reality I have to face myself.

You might want to look at interview invites/regrets thread from the past cycles to see if you're competitive as an OOP. IMO, your average seems good as an OOP as long as you have good NAQ. In terms of taking the english pre-req, I think once you compare your grades to those who have gotten interviews as an OOP, I think it might be worth completing them (It is $1300, but in the grand scheme of things this is a little investment for your future). 

Hey everyone,

I am an ON resident and thinking of applying to UBC. However need some help here please read

GPA: ~90-91% (19 A+, 6 A, 9 A-) therefore 3077/34 = ~90-91% so I think I did this correctly :$

MCAT: 510 (128 all but CARS, 126)

I have above average ECs, been at the same institution for 6 years (finishing up MSc), long term and many commitments related to what I am passionate about.

However this decision comes down to:

1. Am I competitive here? Not sure if my GPA is good enough

2. I would have to spend $1300 to take a full year English

Any advice is appreciated!

Cheers!

I definitely would apply if I were you!  This is where you have to "bite the bullet" as they say.  Good luck with your application!  :)

Archived