Premed 101 Forums

Welcome To The Class Of 2020

I was one of those 2nd years helping out today.  I loved my first year - and thoroughly enjoyed O-Week.  Definitely try to do everything.

The white coat ceremony was fun - as a guy it's nice to see all those new first year women in the skimpiest and shortest of dresses with high heels and hair and the old people in the crowd showing disaproval; especially because in a few weeks those clothes will be replaced by much more bummy clothing.  

Dean Strong gave a great speech - I'd still like to know more about the story of the guys on the roof.  From personal experience, most of the staff here are really personable - and it's much better than it is at Toronto or Ottawa.

Enjoy this week.  The work gets real, REAL quick!!

Congratulations to the new 1st years on your white coat ceremony. Enjoy O-week!

If there's one piece of advice I can give for studying in the first 2 years, it's learn from your peers. Studying together and give each other useful feedback. Don't hesitate to ask other to explain things, and don't hesitate to offer help to your fellow colleagues who have questions. No one knows everything, and everyone can learn something useful from the next person. 

Did I mention the above study strategy also works well in M3, M4, R1, R2, R3... all the way to the Royal College/American Board exam and even subspecialty fellowship exam :eek: ?

Welcome to Western! Enjoy the first week, it's a lot of fun.

As you start up classes, try not to get too overwhelmed. At first it does seem like a lot of work, but remember that this isn't undergrad, your mark doesn't get recorded, and you don't need to know absolutely everything. Take the time to take care of yourself - sleep, eat right, socialize, exercise. An extra hour in bed can often be far more beneficial than an extra hour studying. There are also a lot of interesting extra-curriculars to get involved in, so please explore the opportunities to find something you enjoy!

I completely agree with shikimate, your classmates can be your best resource, and you can be their best resource as well. Don't be afraid to draw on the experiences of the upper year students, residents, and staff as well. The vast majority of people at Western are very eager to teach or offer advice - sometimes too eager! Your O-week leaders can be a great source of help in the beginning. If there's any questions you have in the meantime that you don't know who to put to, feel free to post in this thread/forum, or to send a PM to myself (or any one of the other Western forum regulars), especially if you're wondering about the Western experience beyond the first year or two.

I was one of those 2nd years helping out today.  I loved my first year - and thoroughly enjoyed O-Week.  Definitely try to do everything.

The white coat ceremony was fun - as a guy it's nice to see all those new first year women in the skimpiest and shortest of dresses with high heels and hair and the old people in the crowd showing disaproval; especially because in a few weeks those clothes will be replaced by much more bummy clothing.  

Dean Strong gave a great speech - I'd still like to know more about the story of the guys on the roof.  From personal experience, most of the staff here are really personable - and it's much better than it is at Toronto or Ottawa.

Enjoy this week.  The work gets real, REAL quick!!

PS - Most of the students at Western will not make awkward comments about your appearance on the internet, so don't let this one bias your opinion too much :P

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome 2020's! Just so you know, this is a super weird and creepy thing to say and would be taken as a pretty inappropriate thing to say in any public venue, particularly at Schulich. Anyways, welcome!

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Welcome to Western! Enjoy the first week, it's a lot of fun.

As you start up classes, try not to get too overwhelmed. At first it does seem like a lot of work, but remember that this isn't undergrad, your mark doesn't get recorded, and you don't need to know absolutely everything. Take the time to take care of yourself - sleep, eat right, socialize, exercise. An extra hour in bed can often be far more beneficial than an extra hour studying. There are also a lot of interesting extra-curriculars to get involved in, so please explore the opportunities to find something you enjoy!

I completely agree with shikimate, your classmates can be your best resource, and you can be their best resource as well. Don't be afraid to draw on the experiences of the upper year students, residents, and staff as well. The vast majority of people at Western are very eager to teach or offer advice - sometimes too eager! Your O-week leaders can be a great source of help in the beginning. If there's any questions you have in the meantime that you don't know who to put to, feel free to post in this thread/forum, or to send a PM to myself (or any one of the other Western forum regulars), especially if you're wondering about the Western experience beyond the first year or two.

PS - Most of the students at Western will not make awkward comments about your appearance on the internet, so don't let this one bias your opinion too much :P

Reading that made me feel so uncomfortable and gave me a wave of second hand embarrassment. Really, that was this person's welcoming message? Makes me worried about hanging out with any 2019s.

I don't even know what is more problematic - the cringey judgemental reflection on how some women dressed themselves (really? no seriously, really?) or the implied notion that women are just too materialistic and simple-minded to know they will succumb to tshirts and sweatpants once they hit the classroom. Heaven forbid someone wants to dress up for their white coat ceremony. Why no mention of how the men will be downgrading from their suits in the coming weeks?  :rolleyes: 

How some people get past interviews with this level of self awareness astounds me.

Reading that made me feel so uncomfortable and gave me a wave of second hand embarrassment. Really, that was this person's welcoming message? Makes me worried about hanging out with any 2019s.

I don't even know what is more problematic - the cringey judgemental reflection on how some women dressed themselves (really? no seriously, really?) or the implied notion that women are just too materialistic and simple-minded to know they will succumb to tshirts and sweatpants once they hit the classroom. Heaven forbid someone wants to dress up for their white coat ceremony. Why no mention of how the men will be downgrading from their suits in the coming weeks?  :rolleyes: 

How some people get past interviews with this level of self awareness astounds me.

As Ralk said most, if not pretty much all, Schulich students are not like that.

Archived