Premed 101 Forums

Class Of 2019 Stats Released

s2MD

Mac has released the class info for the newly minted 2019.  It looks like there were a total of 6 of us who made it in with a GPA of 3.49 or less and 5 who had a VR of 6-8 and or CARS score of 125 !!!!  AMAZING ...

As a re-applicant, in my case it just goes to show how perseverance and getting the right help to improve on your previous application can really pay off.  For those applying, don't give up if medicine is your dream!

On the upside, the GPA remained at 3.84. It typically goes up .1-.2 each year. I'm guessing it maxed out at this point. I reason that as long as the GPA stays at or below 3.84 and they take up to 6 people with sub 3.5 GPAs, people with a low GPA have a shot as long as they have a very high CARS and Casper.

It seems that, like western, the old mcat was looked slightly favourably considering the percentile ranks. Having a 10 seems better than a 128 and is close to a 129.

I don't know how I feel about the percentiles of the new MCAT in comparison to the old. If the old and new MCAT was truly comparable by percentile, how is it that so many people have 130+ scores on the new MCAT while so few people has 12+ on the old one? If approx. the same number of people wrote the MCAT, shouldn't the number of individuals in each percentile be around the same? - Or is my math/logic faulty? 

I am only basing this off Mac's stats and people's posts on the forum, so it could be that the official stats from the AAMC is more balanced.

I don't know how I feel about the percentiles of the new MCAT in comparison to the old. If the old and new MCAT was truly comparable by percentile, how is it that so many people have 130+ scores on the new MCAT while so few people has 12+ on the old one? If approx. the same number of people wrote the MCAT, shouldn't the number of individuals in each percentile be around the same? - Or is my math/logic faulty? 

I am only basing this off Mac's stats and people's posts on the forum, so it could be that the official stats from the AAMC is more balanced.

I honestly have no idea. I believe that the AAMC stats are correct. Thus the only real explanations are either there are a ton more people who wrote the new MCAT and people who wrote the old MCAT did better in interviews, or Canadians were miraculously amazing on the MCAT this past year. 

I think we are in a tricky phase where the old mcat is still being phased out.

Only 9 out of 206 applicants were OOP? I didn't know that McMaster favoured IP so greatly. Does anybody have the numbers on how many IP and OOP applicants applied last year?

90% of interview positions will be given to those whose place of residence is in the province of Ontario, and 10% will be given to those whose place of residence is outside of Ontario.

Source: http://www.ouac.on.ca/guide/omsas-mcmaster/#admission

Mac has released the class info for the newly minted 2019.  It looks like there were a total of 6 of us who made it in with a GPA of 3.49 or less and 5 who had a VR of 6-8 and or CARS score of 125 !!!!  AMAZING ...

As a re-applicant, in my case it just goes to show how perseverance and getting the right help to improve on your previous application can really pay off.  For those applying, don't give up if medicine is your dream!

Only 9 out of 206 applicants were OOP? I didn't know that McMaster favoured IP so greatly. Does anybody have the numbers on how many IP and OOP applicants applied last year?

10% of interview spots are given to OOP so 55 or so interview spots. Mac treats OOPs equally as IPs from interview stage onwards so essentially out of the 55 interview spots only 9 people got accepted and chose Mac. This is more likely due to the fact that OOPs are less likely to choose a school that is out of their home province. 

Having been on both sides of the process now, a high CARS will essentially cancel out a low GPA so you'll be likely in the middle of the pack.   CASPer will determine whether you get invited for an interview.

Whats considered a high cars? 130+? Sorry for asking but I think it would be helpful to the readers if you sort of gave paramters to what a "low gpa" is or a "high cars"

Archived