Premed 101 Forums

Reference From One Activity

ysr

Hi all,

What are your thoughts on having one of my referees be a coordinator for a volunteer activity I am currently enrolled in and have put in about 50 hours for? I would assume it is more ideal to have a referee that has a greater scope of understanding of my community involvement and other activities, but this referee would only really be able to speak to this volunteer activity solely. My other two referees are academics and I could have a third academic who can vouch for my academic endeavors and very minimally touch on my community involvement, or I can have this volunteer coordinator possibly speak extensively about this one activity and my involvement in it. I feel that since I already have two strong academic referees, the third referee should touch on my community/volunteer involvement, even if it just one activity. What are your thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

The important thing about references is if they can speak to your CanMEDs competencies. Try to imagine if all three references would be able to cover all competencies.

The volunteer coordinator seems like a good idea if you think that he/she genuinely can speak to your qualities as a future physician, different from that of your other referees.

Archived