Premed 101 Forums

alrightythen

Given that all accepted Canadian med student look like models, it'd probably give you a boost.

But seriously... it doesn't sound like a high impact activity. How would your modelling experience enhance or contribute to the med school environment? If you need money, go for it but I see no value in writing it down on an application other than to say "I do stuff with my free time", which doesn't hold much value for anything anyways.

Given that all accepted Canadian med student look like models, it'd probably give you a boost.

But seriously... it doesn't sound like a high impact activity. How would your modelling experience enhance or contribute to the med school environment? If you need money, go for it but I see no value in writing it down on an application other than to say "I do stuff with my free time", which doesn't hold much value for anything anyways.

(quickly looks in the mirror) - ah not all of us look like models. 

some of us can't even dance!

I've applied to and been called in to a few shoots. Would it look good on an application? I might want to try to do something more professional solely so I can add it to my application, since right now these are really unprofessional gigs. I don't really care about it, I just need money, but am curious about how a med school would see that

if you don't care about it then probably no point putting it in. I usually say that if you don't want to talk about it for at least 5mins then don't bother :) Usually ECs should be things that were important to you (directly or indirectly).

it can be a competitive and cut-throat environment. and modelling can be seen as a form of artistic expression. I say include it just put the right spin on it. it's cool 

Go ahead and include it if you have space and it doesn't come down to including that or something potentially more valuable. If nothing else, it can just show as employment. I don't think it would take away from your application.

Yeah you definitely haven't met me yet then, hah.

I've applied to and been called in to a few shoots. Would it look good on an application? I might want to try to do something more professional solely so I can add it to my application, since right now these are really unprofessional gigs. I don't really care about it, I just need money, but am curious about how a med school would see that

It would not hurt at worst and it would help at best. It would look good on an application. Just do what you want to do, don't let your med school app dictate your life. 

Idk about the model part... On average the med students that I've seen around my campus look a lot more attractive than the average undergrad in any program...

There's a few points allocated for aesthetics (on a sliding scale) during the interview phase at most schools. /s

On a more serious note, I recommend including the modelling for your application under the 'Employment' section if you were paid.

Archived