Premed 101 Forums

Abs Statement- # Of Activities

Hi,

I just had a question about the 3 ABS statements for UofT.

I was wondering if for just 1 of the statements, I could talk about 2 of my ABS activities (instead  of 1). The 2 ABS activities have occurred as part of the same organization and I'm using the same verifier. The difference between the two is my specific roles, so I had 2 roles in the same organization. So, I was wondering if I can speak about both of those activities for just one of the ABS statements (as opposed to having 1 ABS activity for each statement).

Thanks for the help!

Well, a review of the instructions says:

n addition, you are required to write and submit three brief ABS statements outlining the three activities and/or achievements from your sketch that you believe best exemplify the attributes that align with the four clusters. Each ABS statement must be 250 words or less. We are looking for students:

• with diverse backgrounds and interests
  • who are well-rounded
  • who are community-minded
  • who have gained skills and maturity from their experiences
  • who can demonstrate time management skills  
They want the applicant to relate the sketch to the four clusters which are:
1.       Professional – maturity, reliability, perseverance and responsibility
2.       Communicator/collaborator/manager – communication, collaboration, teamwork, time management and leadership
3.       Advocate – advocacy, community service and social responsibility
4.       Scholar – academic standing, achievements in leadership, research and social responsibility as demonstrate by (but not limited to) awards, conference, presentations, publications & scholarships

Activities or achievements. It depends upon the spin you put on it.

Well, a review of the instructions says:

n addition, you are required to write and submit three brief ABS statements outlining the three activities and/or achievements from your sketch that you believe best exemplify the attributes that align with the four clusters. Each ABS statement must be 250 words or less. We are looking for students:

• with diverse backgrounds and interests
  • who are well-rounded
  • who are community-minded
  • who have gained skills and maturity from their experiences
  • who can demonstrate time management skills  
They want the applicant to relate the sketch to the four clusters which are:
1.       Professional – maturity, reliability, perseverance and responsibility
2.       Communicator/collaborator/manager – communication, collaboration, teamwork, time management and leadership
3.       Advocate – advocacy, community service and social responsibility
4.       Scholar – academic standing, achievements in leadership, research and social responsibility as demonstrate by (but not limited to) awards, conference, presentations, publications & scholarships

Activities or achievements. It depends upon the spin you put on it.

I thought what they meant by activity and/or achievement was like you can use either an activity or an achievement for each ABS statement (not both for any 1 statement). So, yea I guess I'll try to fit in 2 activities for 1 statement, but I'd have to let them know it was part of the same organization.

Thanks for the help!

Personally, I would keep to one ABS entry for each ABS statement - trying to combine two ABS entries may be confusing if they cross-reference your ABS statements with your full ABS. The wording on the guide seems to line up with this reasoning:

The completed OMSAS ABS is required. In addition, you are required to write and submit three ABS statements outlining the three activities and/or achievements from your sketch that you believe best exemplify the attributes that align with the Faculty’s undergraduate medical educational goals.

If you felt like you could split the two positions as separate ABS entries, then you probably should be consistent in writing about each one as a standalone experience.

Just my two cents!

Personally, I would keep to one ABS entry for each ABS statement - trying to combine two ABS entries may be confusing if they cross-reference your ABS statements with your full ABS. The wording on the guide seems to line up with this reasoning:

If you felt like you could split the two positions as separate ABS entries, then you probably should be consistent in writing about each one as a standalone experience.

Just my two cents!

Great point. Thank you!

Archived