Premed 101 Forums

Undergrad Transcript Impact - Radiology

Hey I've noticed on the CaRMS websites that it states some programs require undergrad transcripts with the application (UBC, Ottawa). I'm wondering how much of an impact this will have on my application to the program when I apply?

My undergrad GPA was far from perfect and would definitely be on the lower end of applicants I'd imagine. I have been building a competitive application otherwise (I am still only in second year).

I can't say with 100% certainty but my friend who is an R2 in rads had a very difficult time matching and he thinks it is because of this. His undergrad GPA was not stellar and he was not interviewed at any schools that look at GPA despite having done electives there whereas he was interviewed everywhere GPA was not considered despite having done no electives. He was granted one interview that looked at GPA and they asked him about it during the interview, he did not match there. Not what you want to hear probably.

Thanks for the reply. That is really unfortunate. Where did he end up matching?

This is not good news for me haha as I had a 3.6 in my undergrad (Obviously very high upward trend which is how I got into medical school I imagine).

What can people interested in Radiology theoretically do to offset these grades then? Or is it pretty much "in theory" if they look at your transcript don't expect an interview?

Thanks for the reply. That is really unfortunate. Where did he end up matching?

This is not good news for me haha as I had a 3.6 in my undergrad (Obviously very high upward trend which is how I got into medical school I imagine).

What can people interested in Radiology theoretically do to offset these grades then? Or is it pretty much "in theory" if they look at your transcript don't expect an interview?

Since there are a lot of schools dropping two may not be that big of a deal (plus anyone accepted at those schools is just removed from your competition). There are years were radiology is not that competitive lately which helps :)

You do the same 4 things everyone does to match. Demonstrate:

1) that you are smart

2) that you are hard working

3) that you are not an "ass"

4) that you have an interest in the field

Unfortunately a lot more than 2 schools require UG degree transcripts. A lot of neurology programs are also asking for UG transcripts, and having a poor GPA, I have looked into this. 

Radiology programs requesting UG transcripts:

Memorial

Ottawa

MacMaster

Alberta

Calgary

UBC

Radiology programs not requesting UG transcripts:

Dalhouse

McGill

Queen's

Toronto

Western

Manitoba

Saskatchewan

The good news is that Toronto has dropped their requirement for the UG transcript, but I'm not sure what the impact of a poor transcript will be elsewhere. For those who have been through the CaRMs process - what is the ideal strategy for people like OP and I in these circumstances in terms of elective time?

Is it better to do electives at schools that don't look at your transcript in order to maximize your chances there and then just apply everywhere? Or would it be better to do electives at schools that look at your transcript in order to demonstrate your competency/intelligence? Because it seems like a waste of time doing electives at those schools if they're just going to discard you due to poor grades from ~10 years ago. 

I'm sure different programs would approach this differently. It's also unclear if we're talking about grades that are somewhat below the average for those entering medical school, or if there are actual red flags (failed courses, etc.)

I'll also note that students who attended undergrad and medical school at the same institution will essentially have no choice about submitting their undergrad transcript with their application to all schools.

All other things being equal, I'm not sure how much this should factor into electives planning. I'd still favour doing electives at the programs you are most interested in attending for residency. If the program emphasizes elective performance, a great impression would likely outweigh any remote defects in one's record.

At western, there was a way to work around it in the past. You could order a transcript exclusively for your medical school career. I think this workaround is still offered every year although I'd have to confirm.

Sounds like it is still available, just requires some extra legwork on the part of students.

• 3 weeks later...

I am also worrid about this. My first year of undergrad was 12 years ago. This first year was rough for many reasons and I ended up with one failed class and several Ds. After this I have all years greater than 3.9,but I still worry this will be seen as a red flag. And as others have said, all schools will see these marks as my medical transcript cannot be separated from my other degree marks (since I did them all at one school).

Honestly I find it kind of ridiculous is thus hurts me since it was so long ago and clearly had no impact on me getting into or being successful in, graduate and medical medical school. Still... It worries me.

• 2 months later...

Take it from personal experience, don't let the undergrad transcript requirement prevent you from applying or stress you out. I had a weak few years of undergrad I was worried about but it was a non-issue.

Improve from your mistakes, play to your strengths, and make sure to meet or exceed all other more important requirements.

Archived