Premed 101 Forums

What's Your Opinion About Going To Ireland?

End Poverty

I finished my undergrad at U of C in cellular/ molecular biology last year.  I graduated with a GPA of 3.45.  My GPA is on the low side, b/c I lost my mother in my third year of university, and bombed most of my uni classes that year.  My adjusted GPA is 3.79. I re-took my MCAT this Summer and scored a 521. I believe I have good extracurriculars. Last year, U of C gave me a very high EC score.   I also interviewed with 506 MCAT score at U of C. However, for some reason, I could not score high enough on my interview to be accepted post - interview. 

I am re- applying again but I am not sure about the outcome. As a result, I am thinking of going to Ireland. What is the prospect of getting back to Canada after finishing med school over there? What is the match rate? Where can I find objective info about Ireland?

Hi premedcal,

First of all, sorry about your loss. I don't know much about Ireland, and you should definitely take my opinion with a grain of salt as Im only a premed, but given your impressive MCAT score I would consider possibly applying to US schools that are known to accept Canadians. The down side would obviously be the costs of attending a US school.

The annual match rate for all IMGs pursuing Canadian residencies is low. The most recent figure is approximately 21%. Of this successful 21%, about two-thirds are CEAs (Canadians educated abroad), and one-third are non-Canadian IMGs. This means that regardless of where you go to medical school outside of Canada, the odds will not be in your favor to return. Even if you attend a US medical school, your chances of matching will still be higher in the NRMP compared to CaRMS.

From what I know, the anecdotal match rate sits around 50-60% to Canada and 10-20% to the US. I get this data from self collected data from Irish medical students who document what happens to their graduates. 

More grads will probably match to the states the following year, but it is safe to assume that about 70-80% of their grads eventually match, a smaller percentage will stay in Ireland if they are EU citizens. What happens to the rest I don't know. 

http://www.atlanticbridge.com/

Archived