Premed 101 Forums

Graduate Applicants

Guest pjdavis

Guest pjdavis

I was just wondering if anyone knew the U of M's policy on graduate applicants. I started my MSc this year, but I am having trouble finding motivation from day to day to actually finish it, as I would rather be doing something else. Therfore, should I be accepted to med school I would ultimately go. Anyway, I know that certain schools should you be accepted will make you finish the graduate degree. What is Manitoba's policy? Also even if it is not official are graduate applicants frowned upon unless they are in their last year of study?

Hi Pjdavis,

Currently there is no official policy at the U of M regarding graduate students and admissions. However, I can only think a graduate degree would be helpful when someone interviews. In my class alone there are quite a number of students with graduate degrees. I can't say I have heard that the University frowns on students that leave their graduate program (although they would probably encourage you to finish it). Nevertheless, I can think of two students off the top of my head who were allowed to defer their acceptance because they were completing their degree. Similarly, I can think of current students who are finishing their graduate degrees while in medicine. :D

Hope that helps,

J.

Archived