Premed 101 Forums

Opinion On Chances

khouston

Hello!

I am looking for opinions on whether or not I have a chance at med school. I never thought I wanted to pursue med during my undergrad so I never looked into it. Now that I am in graduate school - just want to get some thoughts:)

Undergrad cumulative GPA: 4.17 (4.3 scale)

last 3 years GPA: 4.24

130+ hours volunteering in hospitals

volunteered for a clinical microbiologist

shadowed a GP

shadowed for BRIEF amount of time: oncologist, surgeon, GI

Pathology observership

Currently completing an MPH (would be applying before completion)

Thanks in advance!

Hey khouston,

Your GPA seems pretty good, you will have a pretty good shot at uOttawa. This is the only school someone can realistically comment because I do not see any MCAT scores.

uOttawa also may be moving to implement the MCAT soon so just FYI.

I would suggest writing the MCAT before making any sort of decisions as to where you will be competitive.

Also, not sure if you didn't list other ECs but it is important to also do things that you are passionate about and not just the typical hospital volunteering/shadowing - some schools look to see that you have a diverse range of experiences and not just hospital volunteering. So don't feel urged that all you have to do EC wise is hopsital volunteer/shadowing - do stuff you love doing too!

Hello @MDHopefulyMe and @premedcal,

Thank you for your input - I have not written the MCAT yet. I am thinking of writing it is this summer. 

Additional EC's include mutliple plays (I am passionate about theatre as well) and some committee work involving Mental Health:) 

I also have work experience in finance and retail  - not that those will be of any help haha

Thanks again!

Hello @MDHopefulyMe and @premedcal,

Thank you for your input - I have not written the MCAT yet. I am thinking of writing it is this summer. 

Additional EC's include mutliple plays (I am passionate about theatre as well) and some committee work involving Mental Health:) 

I also have work experience in finance and retail  - not that those will be of any help haha

Thanks again!

Don't undermine your extracurriculars. I find that med schools really like diversity. Your experiences are unique and you should draw on them!

Archived