Premed 101 Forums

Residence

Guest Lactic Folly

Guest Lactic Folly

Obviously I don't know if I'm coming here yet, but if I do it would be nice to have lined up a convenient place to live. I was wondering if anyone had any info on the relative merits of Speechly/Tache vs University College, or anything in general about the residences at the University of Manitoba? Thanks :)

Guest Koppertone

All I can say is that if I get in to UofM things are going to be WAY cheaper rentwise than they are now. I got a renters guide while in the airport and was astounded at the fact that you could get a 1BR apartment for $400/month. The cheapest for a 1BR here in Van is $1000/month which is ridiculous.

Guest PerfectMoment

i'd try to go to the smaller residences. st. paul's, st.john's, or st.andrews are all smallish and many of the rooms are singles, so you don't have to worry about sharing with some complete stranger. i also hear that their meal plans are generally better than what is offered at speechly/tache or university college in that the food is (gasp!) actually edible.

Guest Roall

Well, since the medical school isn't on the Fort Garry campus (where all the residences you mentioned are) you could stay there and take the shuttle to the Bannatyne campus, but most people don't do this. You can probably find rent that is only slightly more expensive elsewhere in town and closer to the med school. And I generally prefer my own place to living in Rez (and I lived in Rez for 6 years!). Afterall, you're going to be pretty busy, so having a place you can truly call your own is nice when you don't want to be distracted by others.

I'd say that rent for a typical one bedroom apartment in the Broadway/Osborne/Corydon area (which are pretty popular with my class and where I live) range from around $500 to $700 per month, depending on how new the building is, the size of the place and what's included (i.e. parking, heat, water, etc.).

So I'd suggest not living in residences at the Fort Garry campus (although I have no experience with the U of M residences) and go out on your own and find a place. You can always move into rez later if you do find that you are incapable of surviving on your own cooking ;) .

Of course, you could move into the med apartments which are adjacent to the medical school if you want. They are similar to residence, but have no meal plan. They are tough to get into though, so put your name on a list as soon as you're accepted if you want to get in there. They are around $400-450 per month I believe, but am not positive myself.

I hope this helps a bit. Cheers!

Guest ManitobaMed

Med apt rent is around $290 a month for a bachelor and $340-350 (can't remember the exact number) for a one bedroom. Water and heat are included, but parking and electricity are extra. (Because spots around HSC are limited, parking is around $60/month.)

• 4 weeks later...
Guest deeds16

IF i do get accepted, I would like to go for the med residences. Would anyone mind telling me the procedure on getting in? (or any websites)

Guest pseudodoc

contact the med apartment office... talk to marlene.

204 787 4261

i live there now and its cheap, clean, safe (24hr security) and so damn close.

all the best

Archived