Premed 101 Forums

Should I Bother Writing Casper?

Money is tight, and if I don't have a realistic chance I'd prefer not to write it 

Mac cGPA: 3.54 (I know.... really bad first year)

CARS: 126

If I write it I'd be writing the one next Thursday, I've been reading Doing Right but I just don't feel confident about my chances and I feel like there's no point. Please be honest!

Casper is really just to assess your ability to balance ethics and practicality in various scenarios and to examine your thought process (essentially an online interview).

If you're a normal human being with common sense, can type quickly, demonstrate honest self-reflection and a maturity of thought which exemplifies fairness and concern for others, then you don't need anything else to succeed on Casper.

Don't even bother stressing about reading doing right at this point for casper--you really don't need it. Just reflect on your past experiences, how they shape your personal narrative or motivations for pursuing medicine and try to answer questions as honestly, comprehensively and balanced as you possibly can.

Aside from the above, you've already paid the application fee to McMaster, which I believe includes the fee for the casper test, so it isn't like you are going to have to incur an additional cost by writing it.

Look at it this way, by not writing it you are forfeiting your application and you will automatically not receive an interview.

By writing it, there is a chance that you can receive an interview or at the very least be on the waitlist for an interview this year and consider an interview offer as a bonus--if it happens then great, if not then it doesn't matter as you already know what you need to improve on.

Also by writing casper this year, even if you don't receive an interview offer, the experience of having gone through it and knowing what you can potentially expect would be invaluable for future application cycles.

TL;DR-- Write the casper.

I should have clarified -- I have already applied to McMaster. I received my MCAT scores after the application deadline :( Now I'm wondering if I should even bother writing CASPer for this cycle. 

but if you already applied and paid that money already why not pay a little more to do casper even though your chances aren't great, you would know what to expect for next year where hopefully with a better MCAT you'll have a greater shot? 

I'd actually suggest not writing it if money is an issue. Saying she's already spent money is not a sound argument...it's very unrealistic that she'd get an interview with her stats. 

$40 is a relatively small amount compared to the money used to apply McMaster. Might as well get the practice. 

I'd definitely recommend you doing it - not only do you get a chance to get an interview this year if you do very well, but as mentioned above, you would get practice on the real thing if you're applying again next year. I wrote the CASPER for the first time last year, and I felt a lot less nervous and more prepared doing it the second time. I felt that I knew better how to prepare and write it.  Practice just isn't the same as the real thing. 

Also - maybe you can get the fee waiver if you qualify? 

Archived