Premed 101 Forums

Applying To Pt 2017 - Can A Poor Prerequisite Grade Harm My Chances?

Hello,

I am planning on applying to PT at UfoT, McMaster, and Queens for Fall 2017, and just want to know what my chances of getting in are. My subGPA (last 10 undergrad classes?) is ~3.9, and cumulative GPA is ~3.7. This is not including my graduate level courses for which my avg GPA for the 3 courses completed is around a 3.7. 

I'm currently completing a research-intensive master's program (ending Aug 2017) and was awarded a CIHR scholarship for my Master's thesis (which is highly related to PT). I've got a couple conference presentations/publications under my belt, and have worked a few summers in a PT clinic as well as volunteered plenty of hours in the past. 

My biggest concern is the fact that I got a really crappy grade in Human Physiology (61%) since it was taken in first year....

I did, however, input my exercise physiology grade (kin physiology course, which I did much better in) on the ORPAS application. I'm not sure how this will be accepted, but I figured I would try my luck with that. 

Any input is appreciated!! 

If you're unsure whether the exercise phys course meets the requirement for a prerequisite, you can always contact the universities you are applying to and double check (i emailed Western last year about a prereq and they responded within 24 hours & were very helpful).  However, I highly doubt one poor grade will affect your chances.  They'll be able to see that you took it in first year, and since your subGPA is very high, it's obvious that you've improved over the years. Generally, your subGPA and work/volunteer experience are the most important. 

Queen's does look at the grades in the prerequisites and factors that into your application - I've spoken to the head of PT admissions. She said even though they don't specify minimum levels of performance on the prerequisites, anything less than a B suggests the student might not have a good grasp of knowledge in that given area. And from what I remember, for Queen's you have to enter every course that could count as a prerequisite, right? But if other areas of your application are strong it could potentially make up for it!

Archived