Premed 101 Forums

How Strong Are My Ecs?

biochem4

here are the actitivities:

writer- undergrad

canada (official newspaper, print and online)

-interviewer, photographer and writer---1yr + to present

in my country-still a writer in undergrad-wrote articles, attended events and trainings etc,print pub-2yrs

1 yr tutoring of grade school students in rural areas (undergrad)

writer (in my country)

High school-

EIC, associate editor, business mngr, competed in regional and division level and won a few awards, wrote articles and trained my writers, published a newspaper--2yrs----club vice pres (1yr)-attended meetings, helped in event organization etc

hospital volunteer(1yr+ to present)

worked in hospital lab (summer 2016)

editor (undergrad-arts and lit-8months to present)

neurosci lab-8months to present (RA)-data analysis and summarizing articles

hospital lab (RA)-doing in-text citations, verifying content through published literatures, summarizing some papers- 1 yr to present

10+ awards (mostly high school, academic and writing)

undergrad posters (3 diff. papers, one of which has already been presented in national and international level (both first author), others will be presented in the future)

just wondering if this list is already competitive or i should do more work?

thanks a lot

To me it seems that you are lacking diversity. Your EC's seem academically focused. 

I don't get a sense of what you're passionate about either(I see writing, but not much else); nor do I see any sort of personality-type based on what you've described.

I would say that you should join some clubs that are of interest to you, or pick up some additional activities other than writing.

Keep in mind this is my personal (read: subjective) analysis of your ECs.

To me it seems that you are lacking diversity. Your EC's seem academically focused.

I don't get a sense of what you're passionate about either(I see writing, but not much else); nor do I see any sort of personality-type based on what you've described.

I would say that you should join some clubs that are of interest to you, or pick up some additional activities other than writing.

Keep in mind this is my personal (read: subjective) analysis of your ECs.

on my spare time...i go to the gym to lift or sometimes swim. i sing at a church too and sometimes i prepare the slides for teaching. im not sure if i can include these things in my app. hobbies yes im sure i can. but if it is a church activity im not sure lol

on my spare time...i go to the gym to lift or sometimes swim. i sing at a church too and sometimes i prepare the slides for teaching. im not sure if i can inclide these things in my app

I guess it would depend on which medical schools you are applying to. I'm most familiar with UBC's medical application-- their application does provide slots (e.g., "Diversity of Experience") to include the above activates you've listed. 

I guess it would depend on which medical schools you are applying to. I'm most familiar with UBC's medical application-- their application does provide slots (e.g., "Diversity of Experience") to include the above activates you've listed.

i'm planning to apply to all canadian med schools (my top choices are UofT and McMaster). im wondering which schools within canada do i stand a chance with based on my ECs? :$

my writing activties reflect:

- communication (written and oral since I interview people for quotes)

-professionalism

-advocacy (I write health articles to advocate a healthy living)

-and somewhat scholar since newspaper is also a publication

research assistant activities also resemble some of the competencies...

how important it is to include the hobbies? how can I separate myself from the pool?

feels like just getting As on my courses are not enough....

these are the questions that I have in mind...

-include your hobbies & know how to write about them

-honestly nearly everybody has research and/or hospital volunteering so it isn't so much what you did as it is what you learned or grew from it that is important

-leadership and community impact is important

-make it clear whether you have grown in your roles over time to accept greater responsibility...for instance you have done a number of things for 1 or 2 years but I don't really know whether you've just "clocked in and clocked out" once a week or every so often or whether you've been grinding and have been in a position of ultimate or great responsibility where you're an integral part of whatever you're doing

-ask yourself how everything you've done ties together...what is your personal narrative/motivation for studying medicine and how have your experiences shaped you/allowed you to grow in alignment with the CANMEDS competencies?

Archived