Premed 101 Forums

tuition

Guest mosquitoba

Guest mosquitoba

hey! i'm just wondering if any current med students at u of m know what the tuition will be for the upcoming year. i am under the impression that its much more affordable than schools in ontario, but does anyone know the exact (well, +/- $500) tuition fee? i'm really excited to be joining you all in the fall! :rollin

mosquitoba

Guest jackiedirks

I ended up paying a little under $8000 for the year. Its a steal!

(although its making a huge dent in my line of credit...)

Guest tim23

hey jackie are you getting bank line of credit or provincial student loans?

if i could cover my tuition + books with the 10K I think provincial student loans give out (if u quailify for max) then there's a lot of stuff you can do with the line of credit...

do you know anyone in 1st year who took out a major chunk of the 150K we get and invested it? interest rates are so low right now you could probably make a net of 10% even with a relatively safe investment, with say 100K that would be 10K a year, over four years it would pay for your school :) other med students won't have that kind of freedom cuz they need most of the line of credit to pay tuition.

i know this should probably be in the med orientation thread but it seems pretty dead...

Guest jackiedirks

I'm not sure if anyone's invested their money, but there have been a lot of people who have bought houses/cars. I have a bank loan (along with most of my classmates.) I wouldn't worry about getting your finances set up immediately unless you are really hard up right now- during orientation week all the banks come and pitch you their loan deals.

Guest mosquitoba

thanks jackie! i love u of m! :D that is so much cheaper than other schools i applied to, and you still get a great education. i'm also wondering about text books,.... i noticed that in a nother post you said you spent about $1000 on text books in 1st year. does that include texts for all 4 years, and do you think all the recommended texts are necessary?

thanks!

mosquitoba

Guest jackiedirks

Hi Mosquitoba-

Congratulations on the acceptance! I'll see you in September. Don't worry, you don't have to buy all the recommended textbooks- the list is something like 30 books long!

I'm a textbook person so I didn't mind spending the money on them. In first year I got all of the "starter" textbooks that I've used for preclerkship. But I didn't get them all at once- mostly just when I decided that I really needed them. For starts, I got

-medical physiology

-anatomy textbook

-anatomy picture book (netters- a lot of people buy both, but you certainly don't have to- i'd get the textbook though)

- pathology

- cecils essentials of medicine

-embryology I had left over from undergrad

-medical dictionary, although if i had to do it over, I'd just get one for my palm

Then I'd usually buy a book or two for each block- cardiology, neurology, whatever... for some of the less focused on subjects like ENT or opthamology, I just took out textbooks from the med library.Sounds ridiculous i guess to have that many books, but I use them all (with the exception of embryology- good thing I didn't buy that one new.)

And then of course you have to buy your stethescope, a blood pressure cuff, and probably a diagnostic kit (which will cost about $800- a lot of people decided not to buy these because they have them in every office- but it'll be yours for life and you can practice on your friends!)

Anyway. You don't have to rush to the bookstore just yet. Some purchases are really exciting though. When I bought my stethescope I nearly had a heart attack.

Guest mosquitoba

hey jackie - thanks for the awesome post! i'm so excited about getting my stethescope too :) For anatomy, would you recommend Netters AND Moore? I guess I could probably wait until the first week of classes is over to get a better idea of what I truly need. I've heard that Lilly is really good to have (?). by the way - is the embryology text moore&persaud? i also have that from undergrad! did you go to U of W?

re: PDAs, it sounds like you have one (??). would you recommend getting one for Med I, and if so do you have any insight on which type/model is most appropriate for med school uses? i know there is another thread going on this but just thought i'd ask!

mosquitoba

Guest jackiedirks

Hi Mosquitoba- I did go to U of W and took the embryology course with Young way back when. Its the same text- but honestly, its usually a lecture or two in every block, and there are a lot of people who just skim over the embryology portion of the course and focus on the congenital diseases instead.

I got both Netter and Moore but you don't need to. The diagrams in Netter are one of the more helpful things I found for studying anatomy- but I also like reading the text in Moore. You can always take a Netters out from the library.

Lilly IS the best book ever- but you won't need it until February when block 3 starts. As for a PDA- I got one for christmas this year with all of the gadgets- its an PalmOS 72- but i don't use it a lot right now. Next year in clerkship i'm sure I'll be using it more.

If you have any questions email me- jackiedirks@hotmail.com

See you in September!

Guest mosquitoba

hey jackie - thanks again. i think i'll hold off on the PDA for now since it sounds like it would be more useful in clerkship and they'll probably be more advanced by the time i get there. maybe i'll celebrate a bit and buy an ipod instead for those long nights studying in the library. :D :\

mosquitoba

Guest ManitobaMed

Personally, I suggest a combination of Netter's and a photographic atlas (photos of cadaveric dissections). Netter's is good when initially learning the material because of the colour differentiation between veins / arteries /nerves/ lymphatics. By contrast, the photographic atlas is better prep for the actual exam once that initial learning phase is over. The advantages to the photographic atlas are that it keeps you from spending as much time in the anatomy lab and it's available the night before the lab exam, when the lab is closed down for exam set-up. I myself don't view Moore as a particularly useful or necessary book as the diagrams are better in Netter and the necessary text is in the lab notes (which are part of each block's note package).

If you have a physiology book from undergrad, you're probably fine with that. Otherwise, I suggest Berne and Levy for its diagrams and readability.

As Jackie mentioned, there's not a whole lot of use for PDAs in med 1/2, though they can be used in PBL. In truth, the PDA isn't even necessary in clerkship. A number of us continue to function quite well without one. A $20 drug handbook takes you far, as does a $50 general medicine handbook.

Guest dhowser

hey guys,

dont worry about getting textbooks right away...to be honest I wanted to be all keen and get all of them right away but ended up being too lazy to actually go buy them. I'm actually super glad I waited because you will find out which books are really necessary and which ones are only good for certain details. In total for my first year, I bought 2 textbooks and got one super hand me down. Yes that's right 2, and I only ever used the hand me down to its potential. The first one was Cecils (which I bought an older version used for way cheaper) and the second was Clinically oriented anatomy by Moore which has awful pics but good explanations. The hand me down which is a must is Pathophys of the Heart by Lilly ( I think that's the title?). That is probably the first and only book of which I have ever read more than 70%. However, feel free to buy as many as you want(they'll look awesome on your bookshelf when you bring non-med students in...hehe).

Actually, buy as many books as you need but try to buy them used. That was only my experience with them. I can tell you though most of the class bought many more than I did, but usually only when they needed it.

congrats on those who already got in!

Archived