Premed 101 Forums

Where should I live???

Guest rainie

Guest rainie

Hi!

I'm an OOP student, just recently accepted to the College of Medicine at the U of M....

I don't know a SINGLE person in the entire province of Manitoba :\ , so I have a lot of questions about the city and the school.

The first thing that I was hoping somebody here could help me with, is deciding where to live? Is unversity residence a good idea -just so that I can meet people right away? Or is there another place that many students, specifically medical students, choose to stay?

I need all the advice I can get! Thanks!

Guest mosquitoba

hey rainie! i guess we're going to be classmates in the fall :) so i'll offer you an early "welcome to manitoba!". congrats on your acceptance! where are you from?

re: where to live? the actual university is at the "fort garry" campus, which is a good 25-30 minute drive from the med school. they do have residences there but i'm not sure how it works if you're a med student, or if it would even be a good thing to be that far from campus.there are some "med apartments" about a 2 minute walk from the bannatyne campus of the U of M (which is where the medical, dental, and med rehab schools are located, next to the hospital). i guess you already know this from your interview. the area immediately around the bannatyne campus is not the best reflection of what winnipeg has to offer. there are plenty *really* nice areas to live in about a 10-15 minute drive/bus ride from the campus tho! in my opinion, those include osborne village, the corydon area (winnipegs "little italy"), wolseley (aka granola belt), st. boniface (a predominantly francomanitoban area of winnipeg with lots of culture!), or just south of portage avenue (along the river). there are lots of apartment blocks in all these areas. many students i know live in the corydon area. the great thing about winnipeg is that you can afford to get a nice apartment for LESS than you would in just about any other city!

try looking at apartment blocks here:

www.rentcanada.com/winnipeg/ you're going to want to look in the central/southwest/southeast areas to be closest to the medical school campus. this will also depend on if you're planning on bringing a car with you to winnipeg. if you have any questions about particular buildings, just let me know. i am familiar with a few places, and could always drive by a block you might be interested in to check it out. i'm not sure if there is a particular building that med students choose to live in, maybe someone else on this board is better able to tackle that question?

anyway, i'm excited to meet everyone during orientation week! if you have any other questions feel free to PM me!

mosquitoba

Guest tim23

Looks like I'm also going to be in your class, congrats on admission, I'm sure you'll get to know people really quick, Winnipeg's a friendly place.

Corydon is a nice area, I live near there but I'm staying at home. You could get to school with one bus within walking distance of the area if thats a factor. St. Boniface is nice as well but might be a little trickier to get to school without a car- a good investment would be to consider buying a starter house there for about $60,000 you'd save tons on rent. There are some nice appartments downtown as well that a med student can definetly afford, I had a friend who lived in the Fort Garry (behind the hotel) and he loved it there.

Don't stay on res, its not nearly as cool as some other schools, and that campus is pretty far from anything that goes on in the city.

Tim

Let me know if you need any help with anything

Guest studentz

I heard from one of the med students that he and his wife (I think) had a place in the exchange district that was pretty affordable. The prices in Winnipeg certainly seem very reasonable compared to those in Toronto!

Guest rainie

Thanks for all the helpful replies! I checked out that website you left me, mosquitoba, and that was really very helpful (also, I don't know how to PM? I'm really new to this).

Winnipeg is very new to me. I'm actually from Regina, but i did my bachelor's at the U of S in saskatoon. I've applied here also, but I won't know if I'm in or not for a few weeks, so I have that much time to make a decision. I'm finding U of M pretty appealing right now, but I don't know if I want to leave my little established life and move to a place where I know nobody. I want to base my decision on bigger things, though, like which would be the better college to go to with regards to residency matches (and stuff like that) but i can't seem to find that kind of information anywhere.

Anyways, thanks again for all the help!

(And somebody let me know how to PM!)

Guest mosquitoba

hey rainie! good to know you found the website helpful. you're from Regina? i actually have a friend from Regina staying with me for the summer!

anyway, to PM you would just login like normal, and then click on "ezinbox" at the upper right hand corner of the main screen. once you're in your "ezinbox" you can click "send a new message" in the upper right hand corner, and just type in the user name you want to send the message to.

re: the residency matching... i am also having a hard time deciding where i want to go, between UWO and Manitoba (although I may not even get into UWO, and that would make my choices much much easier!). you can look at http://www.carms.ca to get an idea of the residency matching for each school. there are a couple of threads going about this in the general med student forum so that might be helpful. i honestly don't know how useful the carms site is, as i think there are probably a lot of hidden factors that i am not aware of in the statistics presented there.

coming from my friend from regina who's living in winnipeg for the summer: winnipeg is similar to regina but bigger with more confusing streets! and winnipeg has more restaurants other than greek!

best of luck in making your decision!

mosquitoba

Archived