Premed 101 Forums

Very Scared For The Pat

So, I'm very good at cube counting and hole punching, and I'm ok with angle ranking, keyhole and pattern folding. I will completely bullshit TFE on this upcoming test. 

The school I'm applying to requires a 15 on the PAT and I don't know if I should be scared or not, or if it's a "low score" or not. I plan on getting at least 12 on the cube counting, 12 on the hole punching, 5 on the keyhole, 5 on the pattern folding, 5 on the angle ranking (maybe a bit more by luck) and  2 or 3 on TFE (just by completely guessing). 

Do you think this would give me a score of at least 15? I know they standardize them based on others' scores as well but I don't know how that works. 

Please help .

I think member_225 just wants reassurance that it's probably going to be ok if s/he completely guesses 15 question on the PAT. 

Here's the answer: it's probably not. That would destroy your score even if you got every single question right in the other sections.

I think member_225 just wants reassurance that it's probably going to be ok if s/he completely guesses 15 question on the PAT. 

Here's the answer: it's probably not. That would destroy your score even if you got every single question right in the other sections.

How could it destroy his score ? I mean, his score would be 75/90... That's at least 15/30 no ?

Because it's standardized, on the 30 scale, 1-2 wrong questions can bring down your score 2+ points depending how other people did on those questions. Assuming that other people won't guess TFE, it would be a safe assumption to make that the majority of people taking the PAT will do better than you 80% of the time in those questions.

Are you able to find a resource (google, youtube, etc) where you can find some TFE strategies to help you out?

So, I'm very good at cube counting and hole punching, and I'm ok with angle ranking, keyhole and pattern folding. I will completely bullshit TFE on this upcoming test. 

The school I'm applying to requires a 15 on the PAT and I don't know if I should be scared or not, or if it's a "low score" or not. I plan on getting at least 12 on the cube counting, 12 on the hole punching, 5 on the keyhole, 5 on the pattern folding, 5 on the angle ranking (maybe a bit more by luck) and  2 or 3 on TFE (just by completely guessing). 

Do you think this would give me a score of at least 15? I know they standardize them based on others' scores as well but I don't know how that works. 

Please help .

As long as you know the techniques for each section, you'll probably get at least 15. When I wrote it 2 years ago, I did not study for the PAT section at all. I didn't know how to do TFE, pattern, and keyhole so I had to completely guess some questions. Somehow I ended up with a 18 or 19 on the PAT (I did re-write it though). My strategy was to ace the hole punching and cube counting ones. Just do your best and take the best guess. Use cross of elimination as much as possible (you can at least use the line counting method to cross out completely misleading ones).

As long as you know the techniques for each section, you'll probably get at least 15. When I wrote it 2 years ago, I did not study for the PAT section at all. I didn't know how to do TFE, pattern, and keyhole so I had to completely guess some questions. Somehow I ended up with a 18 or 19 on the PAT (I did re-write it though). My strategy was to ace the hole punching and cube counting ones. Just do your best and take the best guess. Use cross of elimination as much as possible (you can at least use the line counting method to cross out completely misleading ones).

Thanks for the input!

Just putting it out there, if you just extend all the lines during angle ranking with any straight object there's no reason to not get near perfect on that section. Free marks right there. As someone else said line counting pretty much gets you a 50% on the TFE sections. Not hard to get a 15 but you won't if you give up and don't look at the basic strategies for each section..

Just putting it out there, if you just extend all the lines during angle ranking with any straight object there's no reason to not get near perfect on that section. Free marks right there. As someone else said line counting pretty much gets you a 50% on the TFE sections. Not hard to get a 15 but you won't if you give up and don't look at the basic strategies for each section..

Thanks! I'll give it my best :)

weird for me tfe is way easier then angles. For tfe I find it best to first try and imagine what the thing looks like first without looking at the answer choices (they confuse you and put false images in your head) and if i cant visualize the whole thing then ill only look at parts of the structure and start eliminating answer choices that don't make sense, if your aiming for a 15 overall then i'm pretty sure you should be fine if just line count     

weird for me tfe is way easier then angles. For tfe I find it best to first try and imagine what the thing looks like first without looking at the answer choices (they confuse you and put false images in your head) and if i cant visualize the whole thing then ill only look at parts of the structure and start eliminating answer choices that don't make sense, if your aiming for a 15 overall then i'm pretty sure you should be fine if just line count     

That's the opposite of what I like to do! I find that trying to visualize what the object should look like is very time-consuming with my poor spatial abilities. I go straight to the answer choices and carry out process-of-elimination. 

I'm more nervous about the RC :<

To OP: What resources are you using for the PAT? There are a lot of tricks and strategies you can use to greatly improve your PAT score. Your goal of 2 or 3 for TFE is very low. I'm sure you can score a lot higher than that!! Give yourself leeway and don't aim for the minimum! 

That's the opposite of what I like to do! I find that trying to visualize what the object should look like is very time-consuming with my poor spatial abilities. I go straight to the answer choices and carry out process-of-elimination. 

I'm more nervous about the RC :<

To OP: What resources are you using for the PAT? There are a lot of tricks and strategies you can use to greatly improve your PAT score. Your goal of 2 or 3 for TFE is very low. I'm sure you can score a lot higher than that!! Give yourself leeway and don't aim for the minimum! 

I'm just using the dat manual,  some kaplan practise tests and youtube videos...I don't think I planned enough for this

I'm just using the dat manual,  some kaplan practise tests and youtube videos...I don't think I planned enough for this

No, you haven't OP, but that's okay! There is definitely hope for you! If you're not on a budget, I highly recommend crack the dat with their video explanations for each question. They teach you how to approach each question and what you can look for without visualizing the 3D object. If you are on a budget, I can try to show you a few tips and tricks that I like to use. 

Archived