Premed 101 Forums

Predatory Pre-Med Programs

PurpleS

I'm not sure how beneficial they are, in terms of making you more competitive for admissions anyway. I think that having a really narrow range of focus shows a lack of forethought/back-up plan in the event that you are not successful. Some universities even specifically ask about that in essay questions submitted with your application.

Funny, I met both the Silverman sisters, they went to a pre-med event at UoT and then were at a bar some of us went to. Tried to make it seem like I was sub-par, and got their cards and talked about their program to me and other students. Yeah no thanks, I am doing just fine without you and your school :).

I found this scrolling through my FB newsfeed today: http://www.royalcrowncollege.com/

It's kind of scary to think that the competitive nature of medical school has created a niche for this sort of program.

If you look at their list of alumni testimonials, the vast majority did not get accepted into Canadian or US professional schools. Many ended up going to medical institutions in the Caribbean (e.g., SGU, AUA, St. Matthew's etc), and the school is citing this as some kind of achievement. Most of these students probably didn't even need Royal Crown College because international med schools generally have low barriers to admission anyways. Buyer beware.

If you look at their list of alumni testimonials, the vast majority did not get accepted into Canadian or US professional schools. Many ended up going to medical institutions in the Caribbean (e.g., SGU, AUA, St. Matthew's etc), and the school is citing this as some kind of achievement. Most of these students probably didn't even need Royal Crown College because international med schools generally have low barriers to admission anyways. Buyer beware.

Exactly. It feels like programs like this are taking advantage of a student's goal to become a physician...

Kind of know its a scam when they say 100% acceptance rate though... I mean unless they selectively screen who can join their program no way you could get 100% success rate.

The success rate is so high because they are admitted to Caribbean schools, which are easier to get into anyways. Chances are the applicants were already qualified to get into those schools.

Archived