Premed 101 Forums

Msc Prior To Med?

neurophile

I was told by a friend in Medicine (pgy5) to be careful about what type of Masters you choose to do, because some surgical residencies in Calgary will expect you get a masters, that relates to the residency. And some fellowships expect you to have a masters to be competitive. Certainly at some of the academic centers if you want to get on as staff, higher levels of education is useful.

I was told by a friend in Medicine (pgy5) to be careful about what type of Masters you choose to do, because some surgical residencies in Calgary will expect you get a masters, that relates to the residency. And some fellowships expect you to have a masters to be competitive. Certainly at some of the academic centers if you want to get on as staff, higher levels of education is useful.

I have never heard that about Calgary and I know a guy who went through it. Anyone have any actual info about it? Or can anyone show something in writing from UofC?

I checked CaRMS and flicked through a few program descriptions at UofC. The only thing I found that was even close to that policy was a 1 year mandatory research year in Neurosurg but even that said it was only an option to try to get a Masters out of it.

Residency requirements are set by the Royal College. They lay out what the program's need to have you do/be competent for in order to have you sit the RC exam and get a FRCSC.. Since I'm not aware of any surgical specialties requiring you to do a masters in order to meet the RC criteria . I can't see them forcing you to do a masters against your will.

What is common is universities (as opposed to clinical divisions) requiring academic medical staff to have a masters (for no real reason other than credentialism much of the time). At the center for

my residency they didn't even care what type of masters it was. You could have an MA in Medival Studies and that was good enough. Pure credentialism.

I would take most things a medicine resident told me about surgical residecues with a grain of salt. And vice versa.

Archived