Premed 101 Forums

Pgy1 Transfer

tnwl

I matched to my top choice program, but realized my passion lies in OBGYN. I know its crazy.

Although I'm not miserable in my current program, I feel like I'm wearing someone else's shoes.

Anyone ever switched to OBGYN or know stories of?

Thank you

I met with the pgme office at my school as I am considering applying for transfer come January. The advisor had worked with family residents who switched to obs and vice versa. It's definitely doable, especially if you're willing to leave your home school. Would strongly suggest meeting with the pgme office at your school to discuss.

I met with the pgme office at my school as I am considering applying for transfer come January. The advisor had worked with family residents who switched to obs and vice versa. It's definitely doable, especially if you're willing to leave your home school. Would strongly suggest meeting with the pgme office at your school to discuss.

Ya, start talking to the PGME office...like, now.

You will likely need reference letters, so keep that in mind.  Let the schools you want to transfer into know you are considering them around December, and get info on how to transfer.

Finally, if possible, schedule a gyne elective, for a reference. 

I now know a few people who switched, this will all help.

Ya, start talking to the PGME office...like, now.

You will likely need reference letters, so keep that in mind.  Let the schools you want to transfer into know you are considering them around December, and get info on how to transfer.

Finally, if possible, schedule a gyne elective, for a reference. 

I now know a few people who switched, this will all help.

Just on that note, I'm in a specialty that doesn't allow for electives in the specialty I hope to transfer to. Would a letter from clerkship in that specialty be appropriate combined with references from pgy 1 in another specialty? And does anyone know if it's important to contact the programs you want to transfer to prior to the PGME process?

Archived