Premed 101 Forums

Thoughts On The November 2016 Dat Exam

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

kinda bummed... 

19 pat (thought I did way better :(

25 bio (seems about right, felt confident after)  

21 chem (again thought I got like a 25 but I knew I made at least 1 dumb mistakes)  

18 RC ( I expected it, didn't feel confident after and I did not prep enough at all for this section, hope it doesn't screw me too much for uwo) 

23 TS 

21 AA

I was really hoping that it would make up for my 3.85 GPA but looks like its going to be a retake.   

Biology: 22

Chemistry: 23

SNS Total: 23

Reading Comprehension: 18

PAT: 24

Academic Average: 21

MDT: N/A

Where can we find the percentile rankings for this year's test? I can't see them on my downloadable transcript. Someone above said that PAT 23 was 99th percentile, where did you find this?

Not sure if worth applying to UWO because of that reading comp score. Has their cut-off ever been only 18?

For future takers looking for resources, obviously this might vary from person to person but here were my bootcamp practice scores (to compare to actual):

PAT: 20, 21, 23, 21, 22, 21

Chemistry: 18, 21, 20

Biology: 20, 18, 21, 22

DAT Crusher PAT Test: 21

Reading Comp: No conversion for DAT-Ready/IQ books, but clearly they didn't do much for me (mind you I am not good at this section to begin with).

RC: 23

Biology: 27

Chemistry: 21

Science Total: 23

AA: 24

PAT: 25

Pretty good for only studying for only 2 months while working full time due to co-op. This was my first time taking the DAT too.

I used DAT bootcamp, ferali's biology notes and my first year utsc gen chem notes. I didn't practice for the RC section.

Where can we find the percentile rankings for this year's test? I can't see them on my downloadable transcript. Someone above said that PAT 23 was 99th percentile, where did you find this?

Not sure if worth applying to UWO because of that reading comp score. Has their cut-off ever been only 18?

its on the same page you got ur score sheet, theres another link for the scale 

I think before it has been but I'm not too sure tbh 

RC 21

BIOL 17

CHEM 16

AA 18

PAT 23

MDT 20 

1st time taking it. I thought I did a lot worse. I only applied to U of A this year so I focused on RC, PAT, and MDT. I've heard from a med student in the uAlberta program that this was the last year they're taking 2nd and 3rd years for both med and dent. Could someone confirm if they've heard anything similar? I haven't seen anything put on the admissions site but apparently that's what has been going around. If that's the case, I won't be in much of a rush to retake my DAT. 

All the best to everyone with their finals. 

RCT: 19

Bio: 19

Chem: 21

PAT: 20

AA: 20

First time taking the DAT. Honestly did not take it seriously and found Bio and reading more difficult than I thought. Reading definitely caught me by surprise. Probably retaking in Feb.

Didn't take MDT. Not required for Manitoba anymore.

Btw can anyone tell me the actual DAT score you need for an interview? Manitoba shows DAT averages and core GPAs from recent years (2014, 2015, 2016) - does that mean that these are the DAT score and GPA you need for an interview?

RCT: 19

Bio: 19

Chem: 21

PAT: 20

AA: 20

First time taking the DAT. Honestly did not take it seriously and found Bio and reading more difficult than I thought. Reading definitely caught me by surprise. Probably retaking in Feb.

Didn't take MDT. Not required for Manitoba anymore.

Btw can anyone tell me the actual DAT score you need for an interview? Manitoba shows DAT averages and core GPAs from recent years (2014, 2015, 2016) - does that mean that these are the DAT score and GPA you need for an interview?

Yes, that's right. Those are the minimum core GPAs and DAT scores necessary you need for an interview. You won't find out what they'll be for this upcoming cycle until interview invites are out (sometime around February or March if I remember correctly - long time ago now haha)

Is the MDT correlated with what kind of dentist you will be clinically (hand skills, etc)

There's no correlation with MDT and how well students do in dental school, which is why UofM doesn't consider it anymore.

Yes, that's right. Those are the minimum core GPAs and DAT scores necessary you need for an interview. You won't find out what they'll be for this upcoming cycle until interview invites are out (sometime around February or March if I remember correctly - long time ago now haha)

There's no correlation with MDT and how well students do in dental school, which is why UofM doesn't consider it anymore.

Nice. Thanks. Will probably still retake in February though. Was hoping for around 23 :/ 

Also what score do they look at? Is it AA?

Archived