Premed 101 Forums

Do I Have A Chance With Very Low Gpa In 1St Year.

I am in fourth year and will be applying to universities next year. By the end of my fourth year I will have GPA of around 3.4-3.5. 

The problem is that I had a really low GPA in 1st year. I had 1.16 GPA on a scale of 4. I was put on academic probation. In 2nd and 3rd year I got my shit together and did really good and got 4.0 in both year and now in my fourth year I will get around 3.95-4.0

I gave MCAT and got 524(130/131/132/131)

I have done some research and will be doing it in next semester also. I have volunteered at hospital and at other places. Helped to raise money for two teenagers who had cancer. 

Other Interests: I did my 2nd major in computer science so I have knowledge in programming Know Python, Java, C++, C#, Swift, Ruby etc. I have made a few apps and websites but those are not medical related.

I am currently working with my partner to make a medical related app. Will be ready by the time I will apply.

How much impact will the 1st year GPA have on my application I know that they remove the lowest year GPA if you have 4 or more years but I am worried as 1.16 is too low.

What do you guys think of my chances?

I think if they say they're going to delete it they're going to delete it. If you're really worried you can write an academic explanation essay.

They will count your GPA without it. It will have literally no effect on your chances.

It won't count towards your GPA calculation but this is where the "additional comments" section would be useful to write that you've smartened up. 

It's when you do poorly in your most recent year that the school may request that you explain your situation, but even then it has to be a catastrophic decrease. 

In other words, don't worry too much about it. Congratulations for turning it around.

- G

Don't worry OP - a friend of mine who failed out of engineering was in the same position and she made it in! Good work on turning yourself around :)

If you don't mind me asking, what changed? How'd you manage to do so well? I'm struggling so badly and am pretty ready to give up lol

Archived